We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parade question and more

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
Parade question and more

Hello-

We will be in New Orleans for a long weekend Feb 13-17. This will be our first time in N.O. and we're excited! This is the first weekend for the Mardi Gras parades, so we plan on seeing the Krewe du Vieux- which starts at 6:30 on that Saturday, or the Krewe Delusion which starts after. We're going to be staying on Esplanade- so we'd be looking for parade watching in that area. Any suggestions on how early we'll need to stake out a spot? and what to expect?

Also, anything else that is a must see during that weekend? Thanks!

Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,095 Reviews
from US$ 48.00*
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
783 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
774 Reviews
from US$ 176.00*
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: Parade question and more

OMG we are there those exact same dates and its our first time too!!! we have our masks and things ready, so excited for the parade. Someone told me we need to get there pretty early, so we figure we will just start hanging out on the parade route for happy hours!! I guess the parade is pretty raunchy!!!! So we got some things so we can fit right in!!!! where are you staying??? Im so excited to start packing!!!!!

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Parade question and more

We don't get in place long before the parade. Here is a link to the route. http://kreweduvieux.org/parade.html

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,236 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Parade question and more

I love this parade, but it is not at all like the other MG parades that the city is famous for. Be ready for some serious satire, parody and vulgarity. It will be quite entertaining. Pick your parade spot based on where you can find a nearby bathroom and/or something to eat. I used to always try to get to my parade spot by an hour before it would show up to my spot, depending on where I would watch it. Hard to explain, but the crowd is funny and fun, and as long as your alcohol is in a plastic container, you're set to go and enjoy!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,670 posts
4. Re: Parade question and more

Citygal07 that's NBA All Star Weekend plus Valentine's Day. Lots of activities going on. Neworleansonline.com should have a list of events.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: Parade question and more

Thanks for all the replies. I knew about the NBA All-Star weekend when we booked our place awhile ago- but thanks for the reminder. Valentine's dinner reservations have already been made--but wondering if we need reservations for other nights? We don't necessarily like to have everything pinned down. Regarding the parade------ We'll be the foursome without any costumes or masks- but definitely with drink in-hand. It sounds like alcohol is allowed on the streets, just not in glass container?

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
6. Re: Parade question and more

Yes, you may drink anything in a plastic cup, just not in glass. Most spectators do not mask.

7. Re: Parade question and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 10:49