We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
837 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Extremely long...you've been warned...I didn't leave any details out...............

After a long and busy day on Wednesday, we were exhausted...it crossed our minds to sleep in...but that lasted all of two seconds. It's NOLA...little sleep required or you miss out on all the fun. This was our last day and wanted to enjoy every last second. Checked the weather forecast as I did every morning and it was going to be less humid. A great day to wear my new summer dress. For anyone who knows me...I only wear dresses to weddings...but fell in love with this one and thought it would be perfect for the trip. Started to organize the suitcase a bit before we left and discuss the plans for the day. We decided "no more lists" or game plans for Day 4...we decided on a more leisurely day...just enjoy and let the day develop on its own. Headed out a little after 9 a.m...the weather was beautiful...sunny and breezy. We took our usual morning walk across Canal St. into the FQ and of course the daily decision...where to go for breakfast. The Old Coffee Pot was on my list, but I didn't feel like waiting forever (some of the recent reviews mentioned long wait times) so we decided on Cafe Fleur de Lis. There was plenty of seating when we arrived and no line...score! The service was quick...food came shortly after I fixed my coffee. I decided on the Big Easy Breakfast...eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast and pancakes...a little sample of everything. The hubby is a creature of habit and stuck with bacon and eggs...I figured he could pick off my plate if he was still hungry. Everything was good as was every meal we had on our trip. This is a small restaurant and it got much busier by the time we finished our meal...we made it just in time before the rush.

Next stop...Jackson Square to check out what the FQF was all about. The FQ was much busier than the past few days as the FQF was starting today. Jackson Square was hopping...street performers, tons of locals selling things and doing readings, tourists everywhere...oh how I miss it! When we entered Jackson Square for the festival I was stopped and told "no outside beverages." Really...it was just a cup of coffee...oh well...a few gulps and I dumped it. Oh my, it was so crowded inside the Square. They had a band playing and there were lots of food vendors...probably should have skipped breakfast because everything looked so delicious. We stayed for a short time and wandered around listening to the band, but it was way too crowded. I think because the festival was not set up throughout the whole Quarter yet...Thursday was kind of a sneak peek for the locals. We left and headed to the French Market for some souvenir shopping...got some great deals. Spent some time just browsing at everything...I could have bought so much more...but I kept some self-control. We thought about Cafe du Monde despite being stuffed from breakfast, but the line was insane. We then wandered down to Bourbon St. and stopped at Fat Tuesdays for a delicious frozen drink despite it not even being noon yet, hey it's 5:00 somewhere, right? Who am I kidding...it doesn't matter what time it is...you're in NOLA...anytime is a good time for a drink! 190 Octane for the hubby and Amaretto and Pineapple for me...oh how I can still taste all those frozen drinks...definitely a highlight of our trip. We then wandered the FQ some more, stopping in several shops and browsing. I remembered that one had a decent deal on beignet mix and Cafe du Monde coffee...so off we were in search of it...I think we finally found it on Decatur. Our hands were full...but headed to the Riverwalk Marketplace for one souvenir in particular that I hadn't seen anywhere else...of course bought a few more things. Being so close to the hotel we stopped in and dropped all of our goodies off. Another pit stop in Harrah's...a little more gambling...a couple more drinks.

Will continue as a reply...

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

We then headed back to the FQ. Hubby had been eyeing Arby's since we arrived on Monday...picked up some curly fries...his favorite...took them to go and ventured off again. Decided to visit Pat O'Brien's for the second time on our trip...I just couldn't leave without a souvenir glass and of course another Hurricane. The courtyard was extremely busy...but they were able to find us a table. Hurricane for me which of course I enjoyed...Fuzzy Leprechaun for the hubby...which he enjoyed as well. We sat for about an hour just relaxing, listening to the music, talking and taking in the atmosphere...it was starting to settle in that we were leaving in the morning...made us sad...but we knew we had enjoyed ourselves and had the rest of the day. We had our glasses boxed and were excited to see Pat O's beads in the bag. Some more strolling through the FQ again, stopping in shops and stores. Decided on our last frozen drink of the trip...hubby had the Jungle Juice again...but this time in a big souvenir cup...I had the White Russian. The drinks were worth it...but foolishly we forgot that you couldn't get into the FQF with beverages. We had planned to stop by Woldenberg Park for their part of the FQF but were not prepared to chug frozen drinks... so instead we walked along Decatur and then North Peters listening to the music that you could hear from the park. Picked up some pralines and Pat O's Hurricane mix and headed back towards the hotel. Back to Harrah's for one last visit and yes...more drinks. On Day 4, our bodies had finally adjusted to all the eating and drinking and now our trip was almost over.

Left Harrah's up a little money then back to the hotel to freshen up for the evening. Decided not to change...was loving my new dress way too much. No plans for where to eat for dinner...we just set out to the FQ one last time. We checked out Acme Oyster House again, but the line was even longer than the previous evenings. We looked at a few menus along the way and came across Cajun Cabin. This was not on my list but remembered seeing that it was affiliated with a couple of restaurants we had already been too. We were seated right along the opening...a great place to enjoy the atmosphere and people watch on Bourbon St. We were excited as well since the NY Rangers game was playing on the t.v. in front of us. Decided to stick with beer for now...obviously quite a few strong drinks during the day. Hubby stuck with fried catfish (what a surprise...but can't blame him, it is amazing) and I decided I couldn't leave NOLA without a shrimp poboy. Oh my...another amazing meal...more heaven on a plate. I added some hot sauce to my poboy and it was even more delicious. I can still taste some of these meals. The highlight of dinner...towards the end of our meal...the Rangers scored a goal...well ...I yelled so loudly that I made people jump out of their seats and one of the waitresses almost dropped her tray of drinks. I was embarrassed but hubby and I couldn't stop laughing...I got a few strange looks, some laughed...I just blamed it on being from NY. Can't control that NY team spirit sometimes. ;)

After dinner we stopped in several more gift shops and picked up some NY Mets Mardi Gras beads...one of our fave souvenirs. We stopped at The Swamp again for 3-fers...this time went up to the balcony...loved looking down on Bourbon St. as it was just starting to get busy. From there we headed to Tropical Isle...there were signature drinks there that we had yet to sample. Yes...we were still drinking and feeling fine. I ordered the Tropical Itch and the hubby had the Horney Gator...these were so good. We listened to the band for a bit and then continued to bar hop. I could kick myself now...I completely forgot that Pat O's had dueling pianos...oh well...next time and there will be a next time. We ended up at The Old Opera House again since it was the same band from last night. We sat back, relaxed, had one last round of beer, sang along with the music and then sadly...decided to call it a night since we had to head to the airport at 8 a.m. As we walked towards the door...Don't Stop Believin' by Journey started and I came to a halting stop...hubby knows it's one of my fave songs... "One last song" I said, so back in we went. Apparently NOLA wasn't letting us go yet as the band then started singing Bon Jovi ...another fave...hubby just smiled and read my mind. We sang along with the next two songs and then decided to head back to the hotel.

If you have read this far...I want to thank everyone on TA who helped answer my countless questions and those who offered such amazing advice. All of you helped make this such an incredible trip. My husband and I absolutely fell head over heels in love with NOLA. It was more enjoyable than either one of us ever imagined. The only thing missing...was more time...but every vacation must come to an end. We will visit again one day and NOLA has definitely made it to the top of our list of favorite vacation spots. To all of you headed to NOLA...have a drink for us! Cheers! :)

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Wow...it felt good to get that all out. I look forward to all the TR's from the Flok when they return from their trip...but first you have to get there! ;)

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

GREAT report Kris...LOVE the way you say for sure you will come back! I'll give a full comment tomorrow night...I've got a few things I HAVE to do tonight and another 10+ hour day tomorrow, but I WILL be back to comment more!!! THANKS!

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Great trip report once again, so glad you enjoyed Cajun Cabin, we do. How do you guys handle all those drinks the day before flying, me, I'd be chucking.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Loved all your TR's! I feel like I just had a "pre vacation"......I will try to do the same when it is our turn.

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
576 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Love Love Love your TR...so much detail!! Thanks!!!

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
780 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

What a terrific trip report!! You guys really managed to see, do, eat and drink a lot, and I can tell you really "got" New Orleans. Thanks for taking the time to share your trip, and glad you enjoyed it!!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Nice report..you were very fortunate in just getting po boys at Cajun Cabin a notorious tourist trap. Now to start your list of 'to do's' for the next trip.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

Dang Kris! My face hurts from all the smiling I did reading that fantastic trip report! Sooooo glad to feel your good time through your writing! Thank you for sharing all of the details! It wasn't too long and I am still smiling! I'll bet there will be a next time because you and hubby GOT Nola for sure. I too love Journey and Bon Jovi! Great report!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
837 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 4/9-4/13 Day 4 - our last day

I am so glad all of you enjoyed the TR...it makes the time spent writing them worth it. Don't ask me how we drank that much regardless that we were flying out the next day. The biggest surprise...not a single hangover for either one of us the entire trip.