We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

command_z
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

Fellow Travelers,

My girlfriend and I are going to be spending 3 days in the New Orleans French Quarter in mid August.

We want to rent a car for one of the days and go somewhere with a 1-3 hour drive from NO. We like water, interesting rural areas, and general touristy things.

Any suggestions for our one day road trip?

Thanks!

Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

Have you ever been to NOLA before? If not, you might be surprised to find that 3 days probably won't be enough to see all the sights the mighty city of New Orleans has to offer! Sticking around the city is just a humble suggestion on my part though so I'm sure others will chip in with ideas.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

I'm with CColor. Stay in the FQ and don't use up your valuable time on a day trip. Take the St. Charles Streetcar to the Garden District and Uptown. Spend some time on Magazine in the 3,000 to 5,000 block area visiting the neat shops and restaurants there. Go to The Columns Hotel on St. Charles and have drinks on their front porch. Have lunch at Commander's Palace and dine in their Garden Room. Visit Marigny and the neat clubs and restaurants there. Good luck.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

I'll third ccolor and axle....3 days won't BEGIN to get you thru what the French Quarter has to offer...much less including what's just around it!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

I'll be the 4th vote for just staying in the French Quarter! Our first trip was for 3 days and it was DEFINITELY not enough time to see and do everything!!!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

Another vote for the staying in the FQ for me. But if you do want to get out to a beautiful nature place, do a swamp tour. No car rental needed, they will pick you up from your FQ hotel (you _can_ drive there yourself, but it's much easier and more convenient to use their pick-up service). That would give you "water", "beautiful rural places" and "general touristy things" all in one, all the three things you mentioned :) . Honey Island Swamp is said to be the nicest, two tour companies operate it: Cajun Encounters does FQ pick-ups 3 times a day, Dr. Wagner's does the pick-ups for their morning tours only. Both are said to be very good (I have only done Cajun Encounters - and loved it).

6. Re: Rental Car Day Trip from New Orleans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 20:48