We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report day 3: part 2

Leicester
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report day 3: part 2

Early evening of day 3 finds me in Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop. Now, I get that a building from the 18th century is pretty unusual on this continent, but I look at the wooden beams and low ceiling and am kind of “meh”. More exciting is the Foo Fighters song coming from the jukebox. I figure it’s time to sample a Hurricane, which knocks me for six. Do they put rubbing alcohol in these things? I swear my gums and lips are numb for a good few hours afterwards.

R Bar, down towards the Fabourg Marigny, is a great place to stop for a drink (although I would prefer to sit at a table – which are few and far between - than at the bar, where my back is to the action and I can’t indulge in my usual hobby of people watching). But this is a place where tourists are in the minority (but nevertheless very welcome) and it’s nice to get a sense of where locals hang out.

Back to the hotel (Place D’Armes really is perfectly placed in this respect) for another quick costume change and then on to Napoleon House. My waiter is great but the meatball po’boy I order is only so-so. The Pimms cup (as good as any in the UK) helps to wash it down though.

The show at Preservation Hall is exactly what I expected: hot and sweaty but amazing musicians. Totally worth the queue and $12 cover charge. Afterwards, as tempted as I am by the prospect of another drink (after all, I’ve done wine, cocktails and cider today: why not try for beer as well?!) I decide that the 2 day train journey ahead of me might be best approached without a monster hangover. So it’s back to the hotel to set the alarm as I want to hit Café Du Monde before my train in the morning.

So, what pearls of wisdom can I pass on from my time here?

1. Coming in July is a great idea. If a girl from England - where a heatwave means two days on the trot above 70 degrees – can handle it then anyone can. There are enough people around to make it feel buzzy but it’s not in the least crowded. Just bring a brolly!

2. El Gato Negro is as good as everyone says it is.

3. Take a bike tour: a great way to see a different side to the city and get out of the FQ.

4. If you go into every bookstore you come across (Faulkner House in Pirates Alley; Librarie Books on Chartres; Garden District Bookstore in, well, the GD) your backpack will be too heavy to pick up.

5. Trip Advisor forums cannot be beat when planning a trip to New Orleans: you guys really know what you’re talking about and gave me confidence about where to go and what do to. A HUGE thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Lafitte Guest House
Lafitte Guest House
578 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Marigny Guest House
Marigny Guest House
2 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Napoleon House Bar & Cafe
2,057 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Preservation Hall
Preservation Hall
4,940 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Cafe Du Monde
Cafe Du Monde
30,817 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
El Gato Negro Mexican Restaurant
El Gato Negro Mexican...
610 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Garden District
Garden District
7,666 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

jb, I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to New Orleans. I love Lafittes because of it's age. When I moved to the States (almost 30 yrs ago) I just couldn't settle because everywhere I went the buildings and towns were all new (by UK standards) and then I went to New Orleans. I just settled in immediately. I only wish I could live there, but I am close enough to visit 3 or 4 times a year. About those Hurricanes at Lafittes. The deal is they put a very generous amount of rum in them, then fruit juice and then they top it off with a shot of 151 proof rum! Hopefully I'll be in your neck of the woods this time next year-I love shopping in Leicester! Thank you for all your reports as we have really enjoyed reading them. So, when are you planning your next trip to our beloved city?

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

Great report, jb! I agree about Lafitte's hurricanes...and I think that since they're made individually and don't include a mix, the strength of each varies slightly. Our first one there (shared by DH and myself) was quite strong and we loved its fresh juice taste. When we arrived in The Quarter on our next trip, we literally ran to Lafitte's (from the Canal St. area) for hurricanes. Well, we each had one and upon leaving, not only were my lips numb, but so were my nose, ears, and inhibitions :)

I'm so glad you had a great time and thanks for sharing with us!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

So glad you had a good time, and that the forum was of help. These people are really top notch!!

Leicester
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

Just packing to leave now :(

bcla - maybe I'll see you in the Highcross next July!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

Generally the Napoleon House is just known for the Muffleletta's and the Pimm's Cup. Did you get to the back area with the piano bar at Lafitte's..It can be like a marine obstacle course in the dark to get there but you get some great entertainment after 10PM back there.

Mentioned in this post
2,057 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
norwalk, ct
Level Contributor
52 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

what's a brolly?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

JB--Loved your trip report! I love the Lafitte's building because it is sooooo old and beautiful. I wish I could find a drink there that I loved. Maybe next time I'll get an Abita Amber! Can't go wrong with that one!!!!! Glad you loved El Gato so much. That is just a great place for drinks and food! Thanks for sharing your trip with us! You have to go back so you can write another one! We all loved your writing style and we can always read about our beloved NOLA!

Vvwalk--Webster's says a brolly is an umbrella! I hope that's right anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,377 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

vvwalk, a brolly is an umbrella

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

in the context, I would say yes, it is an umbrella!

jb...thanks sooooooo much for taking the time to write this WONDERFUL trip report while you were actually there!

Hope your train journey is smooth, fast and uneventful...the sad part is, nothing from this point on will be as exciting as New Orleans...

Edited: 27 July 2011, 21:14
Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip report day 3: part 2

JB, thank you for another wonderful trip report.

I so hear you about the "old" buildings - being European (Polish) myself, I can't tell you how many times I had to conceal a yawn when someone was telling me, wide-eyed "This is an old building. It's ... *gasp* ... 100 years old!" here in the Northwest USA. At least in NOLA that's said about buildings 200 years old and up. Still younglings for someone coming from a city full of 14th century architecture, but a bit more respectable. :) Old or not so old, I did like Lafitte's a lot. :)

That packing to go back part, don't you just hate it. :( Enjoy your beignets and return soon! :)

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,377 Reviews
New Orleans, LA