We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

in Algier's Point? How was it? What would you recommend! Thanks!

Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,065 Reviews
from US$ 44.50*
US$ 48.00
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
772 Reviews
from US$ 176.00*
Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
748 Reviews
from US$ 31.50*
US$ 34.00
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Zmyst--Thanks for the heads up on dude selling peanut butter fudge! I will buy that in a heartbeat if I'm there and he is too! We figure that we're going to take the morning and do a two mile walk around Algier's Point so we can scout it out and make lists of good streets, neighborhoods, etc. That way when the time comes we'll know in what area we want our house to be in. Old Point Bar...dog friendly...I'M SO in! Thanks for the tips. Any chance you'll ever move back?

BRADLEY, ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Axle is SO right about Parkway! It`s really,really worth the trip! I haven`t done Liuzzas, but have done Liuzzas BY The Track. It`s another great local spot.

Another spot to consider is The Cake Cafe in the Marigny. Their breakfast is awesome, and reasonable for what you get.

Mentioned in this post
Marigny Guest House
Marigny Guest House
2 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Deny, the guy wasn't selling the fudge, but he offered some to any who wanted it. I know we talked for a few hours but that's been a few years back. As for moving to New Orleans, I'm hoping to do so in about 2 years. At this time I'm going back to school for nursing (RN) and when I finish that is when I plan on moving. Not to say if the opportunity presented itself sooner I wouldn't take advantage of it. I'm not opposed to bartending either at some great locals bar and finishing school there. And Algiers would be my first choice of where I'd want to live. It's been since the early 80's since I've lived in Algiers, but I visit it each trip. What I loved was the sense of community that was there then, and that I've experienced on my return visits just strolling around. Reminds me of the time when neighborhoods were truly neighborhoods and people knew and spoke to neighbors instead of locking theirselves inside in the A/C in front of the TV.

From my time there I'd look river side(toward the ferry) of Opelousas and again toward the ferry landing from Atlantic Ave.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Zmyst...have you seen my map somehow? LOL! I definitely want to stay north of Opelousas (maybe even upwards of Eliza) and while my "target area" includes Atlantic and Pelican, I'd like to stay on the ferry side of Elmira. We need to be within stumbling distance of that ferry for the times we visit the Quarter!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Zmyst--So he was just handing out samples of his fudge? I sure hope he ambles in with samples when we're there! I am soooooooo looking forward to our stroll around Algier's Point. The sense of community sounds wonderful! Good luck on your studies! I hope you pass everything with flying colors. Who knows...we may even be living in the same neighborhood someday. Wouldn't that be a hoot!!!!!

Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Herm...Nope, haven't seen your map, LOL, but I'm guessing that you've done your research since it looks like you two are truly actively considering a move to New Orleans. BTW, what is your time frame, within the next couple of years??? And no, Deny, he wasn't just handing out samples, we (my group consisting of me, my aunt, my sis and cuz) were sitting there at DD listening to some music, enjoying a few beers when he introduced himself. After a bit of a chat and a touch of reminiscing (he lived on Belleville as did I when I was there) he told us to hang around, and went and got the fudge, which he also shared with others. IT was very good, only in New Orleans does peanut butter fudge go so well with beer!!!

You two I'm sure would make the coolest neighbors. I think hoot would be and understatement. : )

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Zmyst...oh, truly and actively aren't the words (maybe a bit prematurely?) Our situation merits that we stay put for awhile, but it never hurts to start checking now. We plan to spend 6 months there and 6 months here...I'll PM you.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Zmyst--Will you be in NOLA in May 2012?????

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,387 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Albertville, Alabama
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Deny, I'm doing everything I can to be there May 2010. Much depends on my school schedule. May is usually finals. Dang this 50+ and back in school is tough, but the end goal will be worth it. But at this time, I'm planning on it, even if I can only make it for a couple of days before heading back to class.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Has anyone eaten at Dry Dock Cafe

Zymst--Would LOVE to meet you in May 2012!!!!!!!! If humanly possible!!!!!