We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
409 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

After many months planning our tour of SE USA, we are sadly find we have only 2 1/2 days in NOLA. We have been watching TA daily for thoughts and recommendations, and seek you input on our final (possibly) plan. We arrive early October.

We would like to take in:

1. New Orleans School of Cookery (2 1/2 hour )

2. Isabelle's Post Katrina Tour

3. French Quarter Phantom Tour

4. WWII Museum (I am an ex Australain Army Officer)

5. Visit Yesteryears Store

We are staying at Hotel de la Monnaie on the edge of the French Quarter. Do we need to complete a New Orleans City Tour or the like?

We are doing a Swamp Tour in Lafayette, and Plantation visits in Savannah, Beaufort and Charleston.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,364 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Hotel de la Monnaie
Hotel de la Monnaie
183 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans City Park
New Orleans City Park
3,782 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Lafayette Hotel
The Lafayette Hotel
630 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Beaufort
Beaufort
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Charleston
Charleston
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

Johnson, Your plan sounds good! You'll learn more about the history of New Orleans and Louisiana at the School of Cooking than you will on any tour (AND you get fed a great meal!) The Katrina Tour will give you an idea of NOLA before and after (as well as more history!) I've never been to WWII Museum (it's still on "the list of things to do"!) but as ex-military, I'm sure you will love it! I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it. Most posters also recommend the movie. YesterYears is a little eclectic store of all sorts of novelties. It's right beside Pat O'Brien's and wont take much time to go thru, so stop and have a Hurricane! I find most of the ghost/phantom walking tours a bit cheesy, but that's just me. The Swamps are incredible. Plantations are nice, and if you're driving thru those places, that's great...if you're taking the time do do that in your 2 and 1/2 days, I'd re-think it! Just being in the French Quarter will take you more than that long to explore! You'll be VERY CLOSE to the French Market--just across the street is El Gato Negro Mexican restaurant. Incredible food, staff, service, and the BEST Margaritas you will ever drink! Make sure you stop in there!!! Let us know what your "final plans" are. Early October is BEAUTIFUL weather as well!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Louisiana
Louisiana
United States
New Orleans School of Cooking
New Orleans School of...
4,051 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,364 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Pat O'Brien's
Pat O'Brien's
3,430 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Market
French Market
1,924 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
El Gato Negro Mexican Restaurant
El Gato Negro Mexican...
602 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
BRADLEY, ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

I think that you`ll enjoy The New Orleans School of Cooking(on St. Louis). I`ve personally done that one, enjoyed it, and came away with some great recipes that I`ve used for years. There are other "cooking schools" but they appear to be really touristy.

We just recently stayed at the Hotel de la Monnaie in June. We really enjoyed it. Their service was great, and the housekeeping did a nice job. The bedrooms are small, but adequate. You`ll like the location. Frenchmen Street with lots of great music clubs is right around the corner, just 1 block away.

A carraige ride in the Quarter is a nice way to get an overview, as is a ride on the St. Charles Streetcar..

I have not heard of Yesteryears store. Been going for 20 years and have not run across it.

Your schedule may be a bit ambitious for 2 1/2 days. Perhaps you may want to pare down your list a bit.

I`ve heard great things about the WWII museum. If you`re an ex-Army officer, you`d probably want to keep that one. The tours can be "iffy". They can be OK, but also can be great time and money wasters.

Don`t forget to enjoy some fine dining. In the short time you have, be selective.

Enjoy your visit. Hope I helped.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans School of Cooking
New Orleans School of...
4,051 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel de la Monnaie
Hotel de la Monnaie
183 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Frenchmen Street
Frenchmen Street
10,012 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

It is sad that you only have 2 1/2 days in New Orleans. You could easily spend weeks there! New Orleans is famous for its regional cuisine and there are so many great restaurants! I agree with Nawlinslover - choose all your meals carefully!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

Johnson--I agree...you could easily spend weeks there in New Orleans. It is such a fablous wonderful place! Your schedule sounds like it will be fully packed but it should work. Everyone has given you such good advice that I can't even add anything to that! Have a wonderful time and if you can extend your stay a day or so....:)

Nawlinslover--Yesteryears is one of the coolest stores in NOLA! They are on Bourbon Street right next door to Pat O'Brien's. They have strange things and very beautiful things...it is a mix and it works very well. We bought beautiful hand made St Francis medals there and one of my fav shirts that says "I'm Canine Dependent" (they have feline shirts too). Wonderful store. Next time you're in NOLA you could check it out. Let us know!!!!!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,364 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Street
Bourbon Street
5,835 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Pat O'Brien's
Pat O'Brien's
3,430 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

I wish you had more time in NOLA. I think you will enjoy the plantations near NOLA much more than the ones in SC/GA. But Charleston, Savannah and Beaufort are great places to visit. If you have more time try to visit one or two in NOLA. Plantation Adventures will take you on a tour of two plantations near NOLA and then you will have a great lunch overlooking Lake Pontchartrain. After lunch you will take their swamp tour. This would eliminate the swamp tour in Lafayette. How long are you staying there. Take a day off your visit there and add on to your NOLA visit. Good luck.

www.plantationadventure.com/tour_details.php…

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,364 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Charleston
Charleston
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Beaufort
Beaufort
Lake Pontchartrain
Lake Pontchartrain
256 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Lafayette Hotel
The Lafayette Hotel
630 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Indiana
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

The beauty and fun of New Orleans are in wandering, listening, smelling and tasting. If you concentrate so much on tours, you will miss some of the "flavor". It's a great walking city. When you hear or smell something that pleases you, just step inside and check it out. The French Quarter is small, so you can cover a lot or territory.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Houma, Louisiana
Destination Expert
for Houma, Orange Beach, Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
720 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

The WW2 museum will take at least half a day and be sure to see the movie. It's worth the money.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
409 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

Thank you all for that excellent advice.

Sadly, we cannot find any more time in our journey, except to arrive at NOLA a little earlier. It is our plan to come back again next October (2012) after visiting Disneyland with the kids and grandkids.

Our plan is

Fri 7 Oct arrive NOLA (NLT 11.00am ex Breaux Bridge), and complete the Tours by Isabelle Post Katrina from 1 to 4.30pm. Thence the 6pm French Quarter Phantoms Tour.

Sat 8 Oct School of Cookery Lunch from 10am to 12.30pm, allowing PM time for Yesteryears, WW2 Museum and streetcar. Then just walk the streets.

Sun 9 Oct Old River Plantation Tour from 7.45am to 2pm, thence just enjoy the sights.

Mon 10 Oct depart NLT Midday.

We would still do a swamp tour at Lafayette (Breaux Bridge) as l have already spoken with the gentleman, and he was exceptionally helpful, and l would hate to cancel on him.

Thanks again everyone. As always your guidance is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,364 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Tours by Isabelle
Tours by Isabelle
1,571 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
The Lafayette Hotel
The Lafayette Hotel
630 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

I'd cut the Phantom Tour- not that I have anything against it, I just think you've got a lot of things on that list and you might start to feel squeezed for time. Leave yourself some time just to walk in the French Quarter. WWII Museum is wonderful. I went before the remodel/addition and I was very impressed- I'm sure it's even better now.

As nawlinslover said, spend time one night on Frenchmen St. Three Muses has really good food (try the Lamb Sliders). If you're a jazz lover, Snug Harbor is one of the best jazz clubs in the city.

Mentioned in this post
The Frenchmen Hotel
The Frenchmen Hotel
1,014 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Three Muses
Three Muses
1,192 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hebron, OH
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NOLA Plan - Your thoughts

I'm in complete agreement with Soulcat - you really need some time to just walk around and absorb the Quarter. While it's nice to have a few events lined up, ya gotta take time to feel the love!!!