We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Desserts & Funky Eats

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
128 reviews
Great Desserts & Funky Eats

I have started compiling food information (one of my favorite parts!) and I have a few questions.

I'm on the lookout for amazing and unique desserts. It can be simple as long as it is GREAT. Not especially interested in Bananas Foster and unsure about bread pudding. I've only had bread pudding at Golden Corral (gasp!) and it was ok. Commander's Palace chocolate chip cookie dough bread pudding sounded good but I'm not sure if I want to make a trip for that. I love Krispy Kreme so Boucherie's Krispy Creme bread pudding sounded good. Should I try REAL bread pudding?

La Divina Gelateria is one the list, any flavor recommendations for there or The Creole Creamery?

I am looking for some "interesting" menu items that don't involve seafood. So far what has looked interesting: the peanut butter bacon burger from Yo Mama's, the bacon brownie from Boucherie, cupcakes with candied bacon on them from the WW2 museum restaurant...I know there is a bacon theme going on here but I swear I eat more than just that :)

We love places with character, funkiness, and a story (like the Clover Grill.) We would love to support local and family run businesses. Any help would be great!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
2 reviews
11. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

During the day you can take the Magazine St. bus (passes every 20 minutes during general business hours) to within 4 blocks of Hansen's.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
37 reviews
12. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

Well, it'll be harder to find a snowball in December than in the summer--most places are open only spring to fall. The snowball stand in the French Market is the easiest to get to for most tourists, and the most likely to be open even in the cold (the snowballs are very good too). I'd probably skip snowballs in the winter, it just doesn't seem right.

You might try a freeze at Camellia Grill in the Quarter.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
13. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

Lydia - don't give up on the bread pudding so quickly! Go to Commander's Palace and have the Bread Pudding Souffle - SOOOOO good!

Enjoy!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
14. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

Yes you should try real bread pudding. The white chocolate bread pudding at the Palace Cafe is very good, as is their Creole Cream Cheese Cake. The Peanut Butter Bacon Burger at Yo Mama's is delicious. I've also really enjoyed alligator sausage at Voodoo Fest, but I don't know what restaurant might have it on the menu. Commander's is definitely worth the trip, especially since it's about a one block walk after the St. Charles streetcar stop.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
15. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

You might be able to find alligator sausage at a restraunt called Gator Me Crazy on Decatur Street. Posters have said they loved the food there!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
16. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

Thanks Deny! I just checked it out on Urban Spoon, you're right great reviews. Who knows how many times I've walked past the place. Someone posted a menu on Flicker and it looks like they have gator about any way you can imagine. I'm definitely putting it on my places to go list.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
77 reviews
17. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

Soulcat--Glad I could help! Hope you enjoy Gator Me Crazy. You'll have to let us know!!!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
18. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

Gator was on my "to go" list in June, but because of the well-known "So many food places, so little time" syndrome it just didn't happen. Soulcat, I too will be very interested to read your review and find out what I've missed.

By the way, Soulcat, that rodent in your avatar... It's just sleeping, right?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
128 reviews
19. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

Thanks everyone!! I'm taking notes like crazy. I love all the kindred spirits on here!

I'll definitely put REAL bread pudding on the must-do list, as well as alligator sausage and several of the other suggestions. My husband and I would also like to try rabbit in a restaurant, we've only had it at his grandmother's house.

Thanks again!

20. Re: Great Desserts & Funky Eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 02:48