We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather question: summer nights?

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Weather question: summer nights?

I am not trying to go on a posting frenzy, I swear. I was just thinking about the weather though, since we'll be there from July 26 through August 1st.

Now, we're from south Texas (San Antonio) and I've also lived on the Texas Gulf Coast as well as Houston. In addition I've spent summers in Florida.

So we know all about "hot". It's been in the high 90's and low 100's here since May!

My question is about the nighttime temps. Only times I've been to NOLA it was February and April. Well I was there in summer as a kid but I barely remember that trip aside from the memory of getting blisters on my feet from all the walking. ;-)

Is it the kind of climate that eases up at night? Is it reasonable to be able to enjoy dinners in a courtyard or balcony outside after the sun goes down? Is there a breeze?

Here, it can stay in the high 90's until midnight and we get NO breezes at all sometimes. It's just gross from May sometimes all the way through October and it never seems to let up. I even do all my gardening after dark and still come back inside sweating! So I am wondering if it's the same in NOLA or if the evenings cool down a bit even in late July/August.

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
11. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

If you'll notice, I didn't simply ask if it "will be hot". That would be ludicrous. I was wanting to know about evening temps. Thank you to those who answered that for me, because it does differ from place to place, even from "hot place" to "hot place".

As for the heat overall, I am well familiar with hell. We call it Texas.

Even 70's / 80's at night is an improvement to our home city. Most nights.

Thanks cajunyank ; now I now it isn't worth it to actively "seek out" courtyard dining but rather, play it by ear.

Dgratia; thank you... maybe it will rain, who knows... we're under drought conditions here so it would be a nice change.

Dominee thanks, lol on private summers.. and yes our IDEAL NOLA trip wouldn't be a summer one but it's what we are able to do for time restrictions and so we'll make the best of it.

KatrinaPa ; thanks. sounds like we'll make good use of the hotel pool and I'll remember to pack bug repellent. The mosquitoes don't like me, maybe my blood is too toxic. ;) But they go after my spouse like crazy. And I know what you mean about feeling hot even in AC... that happens to us here. A cool shower helps.

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
46 reviews
12. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

You'll do just fine, colorado....especially since you're acclimated to hot weather (I live @ 100 miles from you). We've been to New Orleans many times during the summer heat and have found that it's not much different than Texas ...maybe a little more humidity. Don'e expect a breeze, though, and be prepared that you'll be walking on concrete during most of your travels...that makes it a little hotter but there are lots of "watering holes". Dine inside. Happy Honeymoon!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
13. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

Just read this in the newspaper this morning:

nola.com/drink/index.ssf/2011/06/maison_dupu…

14. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 July 2011, 09:05
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
130 reviews
15. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

It's just about 82 here every night. The closer you are to the river, the more of a breeze you'll get, unless a storm in brewing. Then you could get anything from a breeze to something that can blow the branches down.

16. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 11:47