We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather question: summer nights?

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weather question: summer nights?

I am not trying to go on a posting frenzy, I swear. I was just thinking about the weather though, since we'll be there from July 26 through August 1st.

Now, we're from south Texas (San Antonio) and I've also lived on the Texas Gulf Coast as well as Houston. In addition I've spent summers in Florida.

So we know all about "hot". It's been in the high 90's and low 100's here since May!

My question is about the nighttime temps. Only times I've been to NOLA it was February and April. Well I was there in summer as a kid but I barely remember that trip aside from the memory of getting blisters on my feet from all the walking. ;-)

Is it the kind of climate that eases up at night? Is it reasonable to be able to enjoy dinners in a courtyard or balcony outside after the sun goes down? Is there a breeze?

Here, it can stay in the high 90's until midnight and we get NO breezes at all sometimes. It's just gross from May sometimes all the way through October and it never seems to let up. I even do all my gardening after dark and still come back inside sweating! So I am wondering if it's the same in NOLA or if the evenings cool down a bit even in late July/August.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Florida
Florida
United States
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,378 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
los angeles
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

you know, it will be warm at night, there may be breaks in the weather that allow for dining outside but i think it will be on a daily basis. but the real thing to remember is, it can get cold inside. so bring a light sweater or shawl for nights inside restaurants. we used them.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,856 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

Weather's pretty much the same as Houston, maybe 2 or 3 degrees cooler both day and night.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
535 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

Your kidding right. Of course, it's going to be hot. I live in PA & know it's going to be hot.

Texas
Level Contributor
47 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

No not kidding at all... of course it is going to be hot. I also know that in some places it stays hot until late late, midnight and beyond, and in other hot places it cools off some once the sun goes down. Some places get a breeze, some don't, and humidity plays a factor as well. I live in a place where it doesn't matter, shade or sun, night or day, it's hot... but I've also lived in places in the South where it cools off at night.

So that's why I asked.

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
149 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

As it gets closer to the time to leave, check weather.com.

That's what I do everywhere we go. We're also arriving in NOLA on August 4th, and a jacket is the farthest thing from my mind....even considering restaurants. But I'm a 54 yof so I already have my own private summers. We've been to NOLA in June & didn't mind it, but August is usually a different story. We're from north Alabama, & spent a week in hot, humid Charleston last August. Some things you just have to know what you're getting before you go.

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,378 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Alabama
Alabama
United States
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,736 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

humid and most likely no breeze at all..courtyard dining is nearly non existant..the clubs are very good on a/c and restaurants.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
607 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

The rain will cool things off considerably if we are in a pattern for that. However, if that is the case, then the bugs will be out in full force. Our best outside dining times are during the fall, winter and early spring. But it should be pleasant for walking around. Probably in the lower eighties or upper seventies.

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
535 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

It's going to be so hot your going to think your in hell. You won't be able to breath. But that's up to you. There is AC but it still going to be hot.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

6380, you go, girl!!!!

PA
Level Contributor
315 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather question: summer nights?

We are in New Orleans now. We live near Philadelphia, where it is hot and humid in the summers, but the heat here has definitely been an adjustment for us. During the day, we find that we can be out and about for just a few hours before we want to do nothing for a while. When we step inside an air conditioned building, it feels cool at first, but after a few minutes, we feel hot again, even indoors. It is a bit cooler when it is cloudy or in the evenings, but honestly, just a bit. We've avoided being outdoors in the evening because of mosquitos. Other people seem to be able to escape mosquito bites in the evenings, but I'm covered with them.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania