We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3/16-3/19

Alabama
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report 3/16-3/19

Took a road trip with a girlfriend from here in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Left around 4 pm, drove down. Not a bad drive at all, until we got to Hattiesburg and something had all 4 lanes of I59 shut down! We were routed through Hattiesburg, (got a quick campus tour of Southern MS) and got back on the road after a 30 minute delay. Made it to our hotel, and got checked in. We stayed at the Doubletree in Kenner, right next to the airport. I'm not sure if it was bc of St. Patty's day, or what, but the French quarter was booked except for rooms out of our price range. Got the doubletree for $40 per night. It was a great deal. They greated us with a warm cookie, checkin was pleasant and easy. The hotel was nicer that it looked on the website, and in a pretty decent retail oriented area. As it was after 8 pm, we decided to grab some dinner in the Kenner area and asked the concierage for a recommendation, and she directed us to a nearby seafood joint.

So we take her recommendation (after looking it up on yelp and seeing positive things) We make our way to the Harbour Seafood and Oyster bar, it is a reatuarant and a market. It was casual, which is exactly what we were looking for after a long drive. It was still jumping even though it was close to 9 pm, we had a 10 minute wait but before we knew it we had a table. The service was great, my boiled shrimp, sausage and potatoes were amazing. My friend got the shrimp po boy, also great. Then disaster struck. I heard my freind gasp, and looked at her. She pointed to the ceiling above my head, where one of the biggest roaches I have ever seen crawled out of a vent. It caused a stir, the waitress swatted it down with a broom and killed it, and went on about her business. I was glad I had already ate, or that would have been it for me! We headed to walmart to pick up some soda for the mini fridge in the hotel and some forgotten items that we had remembered on the way down, and headed back to the room to get some sleep!

Mentioned in this post
Hattiesburg
Hattiesburg
Mississippi
Kenner
Kenner
Louisiana
The Pontchartrain Hotel
The Pontchartrain Hotel
#2 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Henry Howard Hotel
Henry Howard Hotel
#4 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Grenoble House
Grenoble House
#5 of 168 hotels in New Orleans
Alabama
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report 3/16-3/19

I must say I am LOLing at the idea of "The Baptist in you" thinking someone was going to hell for having a voodoo altar, yet you spent days gambling.

My father was a Baptist preacher....gambling &alcohol would get you to hell as fast as voodoo, as far as they are concerned.

Maybe next trip, try Bloody Mary's Voodoo Tour that leaves out of Lafitte's at night ....it might open your eyes a little and help you understand the religion that is so important to this city that we are, after all, only visiting. She gives a lot of rich history with her "thrills", and she'll just *gasp* walk right up amongst those homeless people, and pretty soon you'll realize that they are people, too, and not The Zombie Apocalypse, coming to chomp your head off.

Mentioned in this post
Bloody Mary's  Tours
Bloody Mary's Tours
626 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Ga
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report 3/16-3/19

bamabelle, I was just thinking it...you said it, LOL!!

I've had Baptists tell me I'm going to hell for being Catholic.

Me, I'm more of a "judge not, lest ye be judged" type girl....I figure that if I (as an imperfect human) can understand how people can love, pray, and give thanks to God in ways that are foreign to me, then surely God, in his infinite wisdom, hears these prayers. So much of New Orleans voodoo is intertwined with Christianity...so who am I to say it's wrong? And you're right...Bloody Mary does a great job educating people about what voodoo is really about, dispelling the myths that were created by movies, etc.

Kool, I'm sorry they were rude to you...it would have been far better (not to mention more polite) to just ask you nicely not to touch the altar, and explain why this was important to them...

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Bloody Mary's  Tours
Bloody Mary's Tours
626 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip Report 3/16-3/19

You deserved to be yelled at if you couldn't acknowledge the various signage. Been there and never once did I get yelled at but then again I paid attention. As for you wanting to make a rude response thats childish on your part...

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip Report 3/16-3/19

Roll Tide. Great TR. Come back again soon. Good luck.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Trip Report 3/16-3/19

I really enjoyed your trip report. I know what all the walking can do to your feet, but I still love it.

16. Re: Trip Report 3/16-3/19

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 09:49