We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small Towns In LA.....

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Small Towns In LA.....

Has anyone visited any of the smaller towns south of New Orleans.. I was thinking on driving down to the Missisippi Delta. I noticed lots of small towns on the map. ( Highway #39 & #23 ?? )Any of these worth stopping and checkin out? When I travel I like to see some of the surrounding areas that most wouldn't go.. Usually find something interesting.. Thanks in advance for your input...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small Towns In LA.....

There are a couple of great towns to visit, as you're heading toward the mouth of the Mississippi River.

I highly recommend visiting Grand Isle, LA - nice scenery and wonderful fishing. In fact, they have a pretty famous tarpon rodeo (http://www.tarponrodeo.org/).

Also, you can drive from New Orleans through Belle Chasse, LA, (LA 23) which for years were home to miles and miles of citrus groves (like a mini Florida) and some of the best satsumas I have ever tasted. A lot of the towns on this road suffered damage from Katrina, but you'll be able to see how they have rebuilt.

Again, there's lots of good fishing places on this road such as Venice, LA. Also, there are some Civil War era forts like Fort Jackson, but it suffered damage from Katrina, and I'm not sure if the fort is currently open. I would definitely check ahead on the smaller towns on LA 23 after Belle Chasse, but I highly recommend visiting Grand Isle. Pretty sunset :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Small Towns In LA.....

Much of that area is still devastated from hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Also, remember that the Mississippi River has levees on both sides, so you won't be able to see very much in most areas.

A better drive, in my opinion, would be to go west on the Westbank Expressway (US Hwy 90) until you reach LA Hwy 1 and turn south. This highway runs along the west side of Bayou Lafourche (pronounced la foosh') and you'll be passing through one town after another. In fact, it's sometimes difficult to determine when you're leaving one and entering another. There are many local attractions, such as the Catholic churches, each of which has its own cemetary, and some of the graves have been there for hundreds of years. This area abounds with local restaurants and cafes (and bars).

Another option would be to turn on Barataria Blvd. (LA Hwy 45) just a few miles after crossing the Mississippi on the Greater New Orleans Bridge. Lafitte is a small fishing vilage with a great B&B (The Victoria Inn) and a few restaurants. The town is so small that the restaurants close on different nights, so at least one will always be open. In that area. you'll also find the Barataria divison of Jean Lafitte National Historical park. There are hiking trails and canoe/kayak rentals availble. If you choose this option, bring lots of mosquito repellant.

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small Towns In LA.....

I second Rod's suggestion re: Highway 1 down Bayou Lafourche.

In my "career days" (i.e. before I turned into a stay-at-home mom) I travelled that way about once every 3 weeks. All you have to do is stop at any number of businesses along Hwy 1 in the towns of Cutoff, Galliano, Golden Meadow, Lockport...you'll never meet friendlier people...EVER!

You'll leave the area wishing that you could speak just like the locals...and be sure to ask for a restaurant recommendation, or two. You'll wish that you could bring the food home as well.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
522 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Small Towns In LA.....

If you’re interested in Fort Jackson, it’s scheduled to reopen sometime this month.

If you go to Lafitte, I recommend Restaurant Des Familles on the banks of Bayou Des Familles in Crown Point.

5. Re: Small Towns In LA.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 12:52