We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
661 posts
100 reviews
Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

We will likely be staying in/near the French Quarter or Bourbon Street. I currently have a rental vehicle reserved for our entire week, but I'm wondering if I should reduce that. We plan to visit some plantations and a few other spots, but I'm thinking a couple of days with the vehicle may be enough? What is the parking situation for going to Bourbon Street or many of the touristy areas? I was looking at it would save the $40-$60/day parking charge, if we choose to stay at a hotel. I'm also thinking it will be more convenient to not deal with parking (plus paying) in some of those spots; take an Uber instead.

11 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,827 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

A vehicle is not needed or recommended. Getting around New Orleans is very easy on foot, or using streetcars or buses, or even pedicabs, or Uber or cab if necessary,

If you want to drive yourselves to plantations, just rent a car for that day.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

I agree. Just rent a car for the days you need it. You won't need or want it for the things you'll do in New Orleans.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,849 posts
1,775 reviews
3. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

We visit NOLA often, and usually do not rent a car for all of the trip. The exception will be when we have many “family events,” and often out in Metairie. Then, we do have a car for the whole time, and just suck up the parking.

Then on some trips, we do rent, but only the days, when we are heading, say to the Gulf Coast, for more family events.

For most visits, we walk, use the Streetcars, or a cab.

For us, the Hertz office at the Conventiin Center works well, and we only rent for days we need the car.

Best of luck,

Hunt

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

With well (conveniently) located lodging, a rental car will be more hassle than help. Parking within the French Quarter and close by portions of the Central Business District costs $25-$50 plus tax per 24 hours. The car rental fees charged by Central Business District agencies are typically significantly less than those charged by Airport agencies, and you can often avoid overnight parking fees.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 20:53
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
661 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics if I were to have the rental vehicle for only a few days. My plan was to pick the car up upon arriving in NO (at the airport).

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
6. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

Assuming that you're staying in or near the French Quarter, I would Uber or taxi from the airport and then reserve a rental car for a day or two to travel outside of New Orleans. Centrally located lodging doesn't require a car to see tourist sites within the city. Uber is cheap (provided there's no surge) and public transportation is plentiful. There are several rental agency in the downtown area but I believe that they close late afternoon so you may have to park for a night or two if you plan on getting back late. Enterprise will pick you up at your hotel and take you to your rental car. If you want to see a plantation or two, or take a swamp tour, your other option would be to book a tour that supplies transportation to and from the French Quarter. You may find enough to see and do in the city that you decide not to travel outside the city after all.

We usually drive to New Orleans, so have a car; we bite the bullet and pay the nightly valet parking fee at the hotel. Keep in mind that driving in New Orleans isn't a whole lot of fun either. We usually park and leave the car for our entire visit.

Edited: 18 September 2018, 23:04
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

For logistics - the day I needed a car, I would rent one first thing in the morning at a downtown location (Central Business District) and turn it back in at the end of the day. If I wanted it for 2 days, I'd probably keep the car overnight, park it in the hotel garage and pay the parking.

"We plan to visit some plantations and a few other spots, but I'm thinking a couple of days with the vehicle may be enough?"

What other spots are you thinking of visiting?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
661 posts
100 reviews
8. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

What is the cheapest way to get from the airport to the French Quarter? Seeing as it is 16/17 miles, I'm thinking the taxi bill would be a little steep.

november_moon - We plan to visit at least a couple of plantaions, Chalmette battlefield, maybe a quick trip to have lunch on the beach somewhere (Gulfport area), maybe a swamp boat tour. Otherwise, everything else seems to be located within the city.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
9. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

Taxi's are fixed rate. I believe currently $36 for one or two or $15 each for more than two. Same with Uber if there's no surge. Tip a few $'s. Chalmette Battlefield is a stop on the Creole Queen riverboat; you could have cocktails, riverboat tour and see Chalmette all in one (skip the meals aboard).

https:/…chalmette-battlefield-river-cruise

Depends on what month you're visiting whether a trip to the beach is worth it.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
661 posts
100 reviews
10. Re: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?

kfmtp - That is what I had assumed. That means it would be approximately $120 for the 4 of us (roundtrip), but covers a fair amount of what the weekly Hertz vehicle costs.

I had planned on taking lunch or dinner cruise on the Steamboat Natchez - how does that compare to the Creole Queen?

Reply to: Convenience & cost - Uber vs. rental vehicle?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted