We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early - Midweek night entertainment

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Early - Midweek night entertainment

Hi,

I'm going to be in New Orleans (for the first time) for about 4 nights in mid June. It's looking like I'll be there between lunchtime Monday the 18th until flying back out Friday afternoon the 22nd. I get that this is slightly outside of the ideal tourist period. My main curiosity is, will it be tougher to see good music earlier in the week? My motivations are standard enough - copious amounts of good music and food. Am I missing out much by not being here during a weekend? Musically I want to hear as much good Jazz as possible while also hugely open to any Soul and Funk that might be on too.

Sean

6 replies to this topic
Canton, Georgia
Level Contributor
349 posts
37 reviews
1. Re: Early - Midweek night entertainment

You'll be fine. There are several music venues around the French Quarter: Fritzel's, The Funky Pirate, Maison Bourbon, and I would definitely book at show at Preservation Hall. I would highly recommend Frenchmen St. as well. Take an Uber or cab there from the Quarter. Many clubs there, and most have music every night. Just look online to see a list of clubs and who is playing there that night.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Early - Midweek night entertainment

Even this old man can walk from St Louis to Frenchman easily...walk down Decatur...sample pralines along the way.

BTW. there will be plenty of tourists..schools out!

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
147 reviews
3. Re: Early - Midweek night entertainment

No reason that you can't walk to Frenchmen Street in daytime or early evening. My husband and I are almost 70 and I wouldn't dream of taking a taxi from the French quarter to Frenchmen. If you stay there late at night though then I would consider an Uber or taxi.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
4. Re: Early - Midweek night entertainment

check wwoz livewire for lineups,, one of my Favorites Jon Cleary plays often on Tuesday nights at Chickie Wah Wah. Easy streetcar ride from the Quarter up Canal st.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
5. Re: Early - Midweek night entertainment

Many thanks all for your replies. Frenchmen is definitely top on my list. Thanks for the Presentation Hall tip Angela C, will check it out. Was just a slight bit worried that earlier in the week the entertainment might be more of the DJ variety than the Live Music type. Really hoping to see as many bands as possible. Looks like I'm not going to be disappointing

Edited: 09 May 2018, 02:27
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
38 posts
6. Re: Early - Midweek night entertainment

Sorry, Preservation Hall! Awful typo in my last post, looks like you can't edit a post a second time

Reply to: Early - Midweek night entertainment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted