We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

Halifax, Canada
1 post
Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

I plan on traveling to New Orleans by myself as a 17-year-old minor. Most hotels I called have a minimum age of 21 and some had a minimum age of 18, including the big chains like Hilton and Marriott. Is there any hotel that'll allow a minor who's 17 to stay alone in a room without an adult, preferably for around $100/night?

The room would be booked by a credit card from an adult, but I'd be staying alone as a minor in that room. I can get a consent letter from an adult.

9 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

I really don't think you will find a hotel that will allow a 17 year old to stay without an adult present. You might want to check the local hostels, although I'm not sure what their minimum age is either. There are some very nice hostels in New Orleans.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
315 posts
1 review
2. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

Checking the hostels is an excellent idea.

$100 a night is very low for New Orleans. You may find rooms for that price but I doubt they will be anywhere you'd want to stay.

Safety is a primary concern regardless of age. Don't book on price only or just because a place allows it. Make sure it's a safe place.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

Maybe you are visiting Tulane University?

tulane.edu/about/…hotel-accommodations

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

If you're a savvy world traveler, and a retired Secret Service Agent you might want to visit NOLA alone. I've been many many times and I wouldn't. New Orleans is a big place. Most people visit The French Quarter. Not a place for a minor or someone who is by themselves. If you end up anywhere else down there, your life is at risk. Anyone who would encourage you to go there by yourself and not stay with friends who live there is contributing to the delinquency of a minor and should be ashamed or don't know what they are talking about.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
147 reviews
5. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

Metfortson, pretty harsh words to say that a person who allows this is contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Seventeen year olds can join the army - have their parents contributed to the delinquency of a minor by allowing them to go off to war?

Many 17 year olds have already graduated from high school and preparing for college and are perfectly capable of traveling on their own.

Oregon
Level Contributor
140 posts
19 reviews
6. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

I am here solo now. I am a world traveler, no secret spy background. I feel perfectly safe here. There’s no reason to be an alarmist.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
7. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

I'm sure that there are more level headed 17 year olds out there than many of the adults I've seen on Bourbon Street. But, even with a room paid for in advance, doubt that any place will take responsibility for a minor without an adult with them.

If nothing works out, PLEASE, do not show up in New Orleans without accommodations. That's where you can run into a lot of trouble and yes, dangerous situations. New Orleans has been there for 300 years, and will still be there when you turn 18.

Daphne
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
8. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

Who would send a 17 year old to New Orleans alone? That is asking to something horrible to happen to your child.

Daphne
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?

teach 2 travel....you look older than 17 too.

Reply to: Hotel that allow minors (17-year-old) to stay without adult?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted