We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

I am planning ahead for April 2019, and was thinking of doing 4 days on New Orleans and 4 days at a beach. This will be a family trip and we are willing to drive up to approximately 6 hours. My question is what beach would you go to? I was thinking about Panama Beach City, Florida.

16 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

In my opinion, the Destin area is much nicer.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,329 posts
1,800 reviews
2. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

I would also set my sights on Destin.

It is tough to find a better beach in the Xomtinental USA.

Enjoy, and travel safely,

Hunt

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
40,291 posts
660 reviews
3. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

Destin would make the most sense for closest as well.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
4. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

Destin is not the closest. But Gulf Shores (ALA) Orange Beach (ALA), Perdido Key (FLA), Pensacola Beach, and Ft. Walton Beach are closer and each one is spectacular. Panama City Beach is a bit gimmicky compared to the others. However, St. Andrews State Park and Shell Island is definitely worth a visit.

https:/…St-Andrews

https:/…

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,956 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

We'll be at Orange Beach for a couple of days next week. We chose it because it was close and looked fairly quiet.

But I've got a question for the OP - they said it was a "family trip" so I'm wondering if they want a beach with a big amusement park, etc...not sure if there is anything like that on the Gulf Coast?

Baton Rouge, LA
Level Contributor
102 posts
533 reviews
6. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

For years family and I would vacation in Orange Beach. The last time, water so murky could not see the bottom. Decided at that time, I'd take the extra hour and $$, and drive to Destin. You really cannot beat the water and sand quality.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
7. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

The water clarity can change within a few hours or a few miles.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,956 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

Thanks, etude - I really didn't need another thing to worry about! A water view is great and I'm looking forward to Orange Beach...uh oh, or was it named for the color of the water, lol?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,644 posts
9. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

I grew up in South Alabama, 10 minutes from the FLA state line so most of my life was spent at the beaches along the area I listed. I'm obviously partial but I hope you'll find it beautiful. Can't believe I still live in Chicago. :/

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,956 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.

I lived in the Chicago area for 8 years. Winters where -20 with a wind chill of -80 were horrible, don't miss them at all.

Reply to: New Orleans plus a beach vacation.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted