We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which hotel?

Husband and I (early 50s) are planning a last minute trip to New Orleans. Neither of us have been before, so after checking availability and reading reviews I'm considering either Hotel Le Marais or Hotel Mazarin. Pricing is comparable. Any thoughts? Should I consider another property? Appreciate any feedback.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Hotel Le Marais
Hotel Le Marais
3,576 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
5,016 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Special Offer
Jazz Brunch Buffet at the Court of...
184 Reviews
from US$ 40.00*
US$ 49.00
City of New Orleans and Katrina...
221 Reviews
from US$ 49.00*
New Orleans Express Segway Tour
6 Reviews
from US$ 55.00*
10 replies to this topic
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel?

Or Bourbon Orleans is available also. Any thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
7,114 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16,140 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel?

After much research on the minutae in photos of those two first hotels, I've picked Hotel Mazarin as the decor and most of all the bathroom and amenities were most appealing to my taste. Either should be fine but found Marais too colourful. The breakfast included at Mazarin will work well with my husband who likes to dawdle. Not so much for me as I'd prefer to save my calories for lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
5,016 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel?

Have stayed at both Mazarin and Le Marais. The hotels share common ownership and management, so are similar. Both have good complimentary breakfasts, but Mazarin’s is somewhat better because it has more extensive restaurant type facilities. Both are in very convenient locations, but Marais is slightly more centrally located with respect to French Quarter attractions. Marais has a pool, Mazarin does not, but Mazarin has a more elaborate courtyard (where I was married). Marais has more contemporary but still “NewOrleanish” styling, which I very much like, but many prefer the more traditional Mazarin motif.

Have not stayed at Bourbon Orleans, but have visited guest rooms there. The rooms at Orleans are nice, but the rooms at Mazarin and Marais are slightly “nicer”. Orleans is literally in the center of the French Quarter, has a nice pool and bar, and is across the street from one of my favorite French Quarter restaurants. I prefer lodging a little closer to the public transit on Canal Street, but many would prefer the Orleans central French Quarter location closer to Frenchmen Street.

Room type and rate being equal I would choose Le Marais, but would not argue with someone voicing preference for one of the other two.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
5,016 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Le Marais
Hotel Le Marais
3,576 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
7,114 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,839 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Frenchmen Street
Frenchmen Street
10,104 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel?

We like Royal Sonesta for the following reasons. It's on the 3rd block of Bourbon St. so it's in the heart of everything and a safe walk back at night with no worry's. If you want a quiet room, just ask, they have them. If you want the balcony room, they got that too.The property is nice with good resturants. Heated pool with pool bar. Parking is very secure in the basement of the property. Everything is within a easy walking distance. We have stayed at the Holiday Inn[back when it was on Royal st], Windsor Court, Bienville House, and Monteleone. Now Royal Sonesta is the only place we will stay, mainly because of the location. The side streets off Bourbon can be dangerous at night.

Mentioned in this post
Royal Sonesta New Orleans
4,745 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Windsor Court Hotel
Windsor Court Hotel
1,823 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bienville House
Bienville House
1,764 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Monteleone
Hotel Monteleone
8,420 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel?

Have stayed at and liked Royal Sonesta. Hotel Le Marais and Hotel Mazarin are both across the street (different streets) from Royal Sonesta.

Mentioned in this post
4,745 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Le Marais
Hotel Le Marais
3,576 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
5,016 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks for all the advice. Looking forward to our stay. I'll have to show my husband the Royal Sonesta and see what he thinks. We had been leaning towards the Bourbon Orleans. Quick follow up question, is closer to Canal Street considered safer? I know the importance of being aware of one's surroundings in an urban setting, so I just want to be sure I don't select a less-desirable spot in the French Quarter. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
4,745 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
7,114 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Canal Street Inn
Canal Street Inn
198 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel?

Most wouldn’t consider the immediate Royal Sonesta/Le Marais/Mazarin area “safer” than the immediate Bourbon Orleans area.

Mentioned in this post
4,745 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Le Marais
Hotel Le Marais
3,576 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
5,016 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
7,114 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
36,737 posts
598 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel?

" I'm considering either Hotel Le Marais or Hotel Mazarin. "

Hotel Mazarin is where I have stayed and it is probably my favorite hotel in New Orleans.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Le Marais
Hotel Le Marais
3,576 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
5,016 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,495 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel?

I haven't stayed in Marais or Mazarin, but have stayed in Bourbon Orleans. We had a beautiful room overlooking the pool area. I love the location, the wonderful Orleans Grapevine is right across the street (and they have a great happy hour with free bacon)! The entrance to Bourbon Orleans is just 1/2 block off of Bourbon.

I have stayed at Royal Sonesta and it is also a beautiful hotel with a gorgeous lobby. I prefer the location of Bourbon Orleans which is in a somewhat slightly quieter area than RS and closer to the bars that we prefer to go to - Orleans Grapevine, Fritzels, Funky Pirate, Lafitte Blacksmith Shop.

You really can't go wrong with any of the hotels you have chosen.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Mazarin
Hotel Mazarin
5,016 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
Bourbon Orleans Hotel
7,114 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
4,745 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Lafitte Guest House
Lafitte Guest House
578 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel?

Thanks everyone! And thanks for sharing your preferred bars jlr51!

Reply to: Which hotel?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted