We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which cemetery to tour?

Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Which cemetery to tour?

Is there much of a difference in the tours of the Lafayette and St. Louis cemeteries? Does it matter which one we choose? Is one better? Thanks advisors!

5 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,757 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which cemetery to tour?

I think that St. Louis #1 is the most interesting - probably because you can only see it by taking a tour so you will learn a lot about the people buried there. At Lafayette Cemetery, you can go in and walk around on your own (be sure to check their hours as they close early in the afternoon), but you will be basically just looking, not learning any history. I would go with #1 as it is the most famous and most interesting. You might be able to find some good discounts on Living Social or Groupon.

US
Level Contributor
285 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which cemetery to tour?

DH found a self-guided walking tour of Lafayette Cemetery on the Free Tours by Foot website. We learned a lot about the cemetery and the people there. I would definitely recommend it over just wandering around.

Midlothian, VA
Level Contributor
524 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which cemetery to tour?

I would look into combination Garden District/cemetery tour done by Save Our Cemeteries. Gives a lot of details about the cemetery (who's buried there, why tombs above ground, etc.) and then walk around Garden District and see historic homes as well as those owned by celebrities like John Goodman, Sandra Bullock, Archie Manning, etc. Meet up on Washington Avenue near Commander's Palace, so maybe do lunch there and then walk few blocks to Magazine Street, where there are a lot of antique shops, boutiques, bars, restaurants and a fun way to see a different part of NOLA than the French Quarter.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,131 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which cemetery to tour?

As relates to just the cemeteries themselves, although both are interesting and notable in their own way, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, which requires a guided tour, being older and populated with more notable tombs, is probably considered more historic and interesting; it's also the Easy Rider (film) cemetery.

Level Contributor
5 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which cemetery to tour?

Thanks for the information! I knew i could count on you all!

Reply to: Which cemetery to tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted