We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volunteer Opportunities

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Topic
Volunteer Opportunities

Greetings!

I'm planning an early April visit to NOLA. I'm from Chicago and absolutely LOVE this beautiful city and the beautiful people that inhabit it. I usually visit once every year or two if I can.

I have a bit more flexibility this go-round as I find myself between jobs. As such I'm going to be driving down and looking to experience some new stuff and broaden my horizons.

Seeing that New Orleans has given me much over the years, I'd love to opportunity to somehow reciprocate that in some small manner. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a group/website/etc. that may help me to uncover some volunteer opportunities, ideally ranging from a few hours to a few days. I'm aware that short-term volunteers can sometimes consumer more resources than their efforts provide, so a turnkey-type opportunity is likely ideal.

If anyone can point me the right way I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Mike from the 'Go

Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,080 Reviews
from US$ 48.00*
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
772 Reviews
from US$ 176.00*
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
770 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
7 replies to this topic
Midlothian, VA
Level Contributor
524 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Volunteer Opportunities

Can Google VolunteerMatch.org for New Orleans volunteer opportunities. When in town for several months, did volunteer work for the Second Harvest Food Bank, putting together lunches for senior citizens, etc. and really enjoyed it. Only downside is it's a bit of a drIve, as out in Kenner, but know they always need volunteers. Good luck!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
661 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Volunteer Opportunities

I’ve volunteered for many years with Rebuilding Together New Orleans to help homeowners return after Katrina and Rita. The last few years’ work has shifted back to renovating homes of low-income, elderly, veterans, families, and handicapped, as well as non-profit facilities. RTNO can pair you with a volunteer group for a day, a few days, or a week.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,021 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Volunteer Opportunities

The Villalobos rescue center has dog walking for volunteers,, its fun and a great way to meet people

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,593 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Volunteer Opportunities

Here are 2 very worthy organizations ~

Hands On New Orleans https://www.handsonneworleans.org/

The Green Project https://thegreenproject.org/

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Volunteer Opportunities

sbpusa.org/where-we-help/new-orleans-la/volu…

St. Bernard Project as been doing rebuilding in New Orleans since Katrina and has a lot of local credibility. Here is a link to their website, maybe they have a project that works for your visit.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
303 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Volunteer Opportunities

Thanks so much for the thoughtful replies, I look forward to researching them all!!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
661 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Volunteer Opportunities

I always recommend that prospective volunteers or donors check out how non-profits are rated for effectiveness and efficiency - you don't want to donate or volunteer for an organization that spends a lot of money on administrative costs instead of on helping recipients. Charity Navigator is a site that provides information about how effective non-profits use their donations to provide services.

Reply to: Volunteer Opportunities
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted