We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day visit to NO. First timer.

Zanesville, Ohio
Level Contributor
27 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
One day visit to NO. First timer.

Staying at Gulf Shores and visiting New Orleans for a day. Never been there so wanting to see as much as we can. Any suggestions?

Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,081 Reviews
from US$ 48.00*
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
772 Reviews
from US$ 176.00*
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
772 Reviews
from US$ 34.00*
4 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day visit to NO. First timer.

Start early in the French Quarter, perhaps a walking tour. A streetcar ride through the Garden district midday. A paddlewheel ride on the Natchez.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day visit to NO. First timer.

Yes, you will want to start your exploration at Jackson Square, then work your way out on foot from there. There is an abundance of restaurants, bars, shops (both upscale and tourist), museums, and interesting architecture, along with the River, within easy walking distance of Jackson Square.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
751 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day visit to NO. First timer.

Skip Gulf Shores and spend your time in New Orleans ......lol.

I kid, but I have fell in love with the city since the first time I went a couple of years ago and have averaged two trips a year. There is absolutely so much to see and do, not even a week was enough.

check out a guidebook and decide which part of the city you are most interested in. Bourbon Street in interesting but mostly bars and tacky souvenir shops and such but you will want to see it. Jackson Square and the surrounding area has plenty of kitschy shops and things around the square. My favorite part is all of the street performers on both.

Frenchman Street and the French market are also pretty cool but the market can be skipped unless you need some souvenirs.

Its really just a matter of what is a can't miss for you personally.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
391 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day visit to NO. First timer.

What I would do in one day. Get there early and park by the river(parking on the street is virtually impossible). If interested, go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets and bad strong coffee). Walk thru Jackson Square and just watch the people (artist, street performers and other tourist). Watch your pockets & purses. Walk up Royal St. (window shop& stop for coffee at Cafe Beignet ,good coffee and pastries) to St. Charles. Turn right and walk over to Corondelet and catch the St. Charles streetcar and ride it thru the Garden District. If you have to wait, be sure that you can get seats and don't have to stand (see beautiful mansions, Audubon Park, Loyola and Tulane Universities). Get off at Washington and walk over to Commanders Palace for lunch(no shorts, T shirts,flip flops 11:30-1:30 & need reservation) have had 25 cent Martinis on weekdays. Catch the streetcar back to Lee Circle and go to the National WW2 Museum if interested or go back to walk Bourbon St. Assuming you don't want to stay in NOLA very late that pretty well fills up your day. It is a three hour drive each way.

Reply to: One day visit to NO. First timer.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted