We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June vs July

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
June vs July

Is there a big difference in the weather in New Orleans in mid June vs mid July? I know both months will be hot and humid and in the beginning of hurricane season. I was just curious if one month is recommended for a visit over the other? Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
1,043 Reviews
from US$ 44.50*
US$ 48.00
Free Cancellation
Experience Cajun Country: Swamp Boat...
769 Reviews
from US$ 176.00*
Special Offer
Steamboat Natchez Harbor Cruise
726 Reviews
from US$ 31.50*
US$ 34.00
Free Cancellation
14 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
50,526 posts
1,672 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June vs July

For me, June has a chance of milder weather, where July = Hot & Humid is pretty much a done deal.

Several times, we had very mild weather in June. One year, we had almost a full week of cool, and dry weather, though that one, 1972, was such an anomaly, that I remember it still.

Will a cool, dry front come through next year, or the next? No way.

We were back in town last June, and while quite warm, we did a good deal of walking. July usually is not conducive to much walking. One normally seeks out AC, and tall, cool drinks.

Good luck,

Hunt

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
9,515 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June vs July

The weather will probably be slightly better in June. In July, there is a festival that sounds like fun - Running of the Bulls, New Orleans Style. You can google it if you are interested - it looks like a lot of fun.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June vs July

June is hot. July is HOT. That's about the biggest difference as you will have a decent chance of afternoon rain "pop up storms" in either month.

California
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: June vs July

No way I would go to New Orleans in the summer.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
585 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June vs July

I was in New Orleans July 10th - 14th last year and it was Hot to the point of being uncomfortable.

If you could go June and its a couple of degrees cooler then, it may could make the holiday more enjoyable.

Loved New Orleans even with the heat.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June vs July

For me, once the end of May comes around, I don't notice any difference in the weather until the middle of October.

Level Contributor
11 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June vs July

I have to agree with VeraBlue. We've been to New Orleans in spring and every month from June to late October. One year we got lucky, a cool front came through in August and the weather was glorious. Other than that, it's just plain HOT May-October. Still a good time though!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,827 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June vs July

Statistically speaking, July 21 is the hottest day of the year. July 23 has the highest probability of precipitation at some point in the day. Average daily high humidity peaks on July 4. The dew point (associated with the feel of humidity) is highest on July 28. The "warm season" (average daily high temperatures above 85 degrees [F]) is from May 16 to September 26.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,420 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June vs July

My husband says I'm hot stuff, and now I have the stats to prove it...my birthday is July 21.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,732 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June vs July

You have a better chance for lesser heat index in June.

Reply to: June vs July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted