I was in New Orleans 20 or so years ago with a couple of friends and am finally coming back 3/21 & 22 or 3/23 & 24.
We (me, my sister and her partner - in our 50's & 60's) haven't booked a hotel yet but it'll be in the French Quarter and we'll be sticking pretty close to "home" for the two nights.
I've gone through a bunch of old posts but requests for dive or dive type bars seem to get off-track with more upscale and frou-frou recommendations. So, could anyone suggest dive, or what I call "neighborhood" bars, that meet most of the following criteria? I don't like true dive bars that are seriously disgusting and filthy but definitely way more towards the very casual end of the scale.
1. Obviously, in the French Quarter. No cabs or Uber to anywhere.
2. If we wont fit in there in jeans and t-shirts, forget it.
3. We much prefer to sit AT THE BAR. I'm not a big fan of tables. If we have to stand/sit around until spots open up at the bar, we can.
4. No wine bars.
5. Although we might fancy a mixed drink or two we're not interested in "cocktail bars," either. None of us would order anything fancier than a rum & Coke, Bloody Mary, Sazerac or Manhattan.
6. Domestic beer is actually a plus for us. We won't disdain bars that carry *both* craft beer and things like Miller/Coors/Whatever Light, but we won't go to a bar that has only craft beer if my sister and I have anything to say about it (and we will).
7. If a place meets the above criteria and also has good food recs, that's good to know. But we won't be going to bars just for the food.
8. I'm not sure it'll be my cup of tea but Pat O'Brien's is already on the list.
9. Live music is good but not necessary. Even a good jukebox is good. We're not fans of current top 40 music at all.
When I was there in '96 or so I remember my friends and I stumbled down from Bourbon St. to a bar that may have been on the corner of Royal & St. Ann. Looks like it's a restaurant now or I don't remember the location right. After the chaos of Bourbon Street, that bar was perfect. It was the week before Mardi Gras and the place was pretty much empty. Just a bar, barstools and possibly a jukebox. May have gone down a few steps to get to the bar area. I'm not saying I want empty bars...I'm just reminiscing.
Thanks!Edited: 09 January 2018, 00:16