We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place in the US to visit?

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Best place in the US to visit?

I am strongly considering going to NO next May/June.

I have never been there and have heard great thing. Early 30s couple with no kids.

We are from NYC. I've done Florida. I'm looking for something different but also fun.

Compared to other destinations in the US, would you consider NO one of the top?

Also is there other activities that are fun besides the bars ( which I will very much )

Very exciting. Just don't have the information.

8 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,576 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

I definitely consider it one of the best places in the US to visit and yes there is a ton of stuff other than bars. Fabulous restaurants, history, architecture,. music, shopping, friendly people... I have been there more than 50 times and not tired of it yet, lol.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

I'm originally from northern NJ...we started visiting here about 15 years ago. We visited once a year for about 8 years. We knew if we ever wanted to visit any other place again, we'd have to move here. We did that in 2010. May/June is hot and humid so be prepared to stay hydrated as you wander about. I suggest a walking tour, particularly a haunted nighttime tour. A ride on the steamboat Natchez is fun,too; and you'll get a bit of a breeze. If you check out NewOrleansFestivals.com it will give you the listing of festivals we have during May and June.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,139 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

The National World War II Museum in New Orleans is now ranked as the #2 museum in the world, according to TripAdvisor. Definitely worth a few hours.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

Many delightful places in the USA,, none of them are more unique than Nola

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

New Orleans is on the top of our list followed closely by San Francisco. If you don't know whether it's for you, I would go to a local bookstore (if it still exists near you) or Amazon or B & N and order a couple of actual tour books that you can hold in your hands and read about the city. Too much information exists on the internet, included here. Gets confusing.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,283 posts
1,294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

For such a “survey,” you might want to check out the many, dine by everyone from Condé Nast, to, well TripAdvisor. Every travel magazine, and certainly every travel Website/blog has done a destination survey for USA.

Perennially, New Orleans is near, if not AT the top.

On TA, it’s 11th, but then TA broke out each of the Hawaiian Islands, as separate: https://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-…

Travel+Leisure #4: travelandleisure.com/worlds-best/cities-in-u…

Good luck,

Hunt

United States
Level Contributor
4 posts
704 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

Good questions. We go to N'awlins 3 or 4 times a year for "fun."

Our favorite big cities in the country are:

San Francisco, Boston and Chicago, in that order.

Small cities are Charleston, Santa Fe and Savannah.

Favorite "fun/party" cities are Las Vegas, New Orleans and Nashville. Nashville is very underrated by the way. Vegas is obvious. New Orleans is really unique - and we highly recommend it.

new orleans, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place in the US to visit?

Nola.just published an article stating we're #2 in the us. I hope we never lose the tourism. Sadly, its all we have atm.

Reply to: Best place in the US to visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted