We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

information required

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
information required

Used to like frog legs-uncle had a marine exports business-heard that the cajun community has that as a delicacy-frog legs are banned in India-but if am coming to the U.S anyway in 4 to 5 years time -would like to taste it-guess frog legs banned from 1979 or 1980 onwards-please comment is it expensive-and what recipies available.☺p vinod

7 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: information required

Google "frog legs New Orleans" and you'll have all of your answers.

garyville
Level Contributor
227 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: information required

Lots of the seafood restaurants sell frogs legs. Taste like chicken. I buy mine whole from a market in Reserve La. and they are much larger than Chinese frog legs. I make stews, fry them. The fried ones are mostly sold in restaurants and they are usually small legs. You also may enjoy alligator. It has a bit more gamey flavor. Turtle soup is very famous dish in New Orleans. The turtle is the most expensive out of all these meats per pound.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: information required

Had magnificent frog's legs at Herbsaint a few years ago!

new orleans, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: information required

Hell, even the Chinese buffets here have them. I make my.cousin go down da road and get me some fresh out the water.

So tasty. Now i have a hankering for some!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,074 posts
1,283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: information required

In all my Frog’s Legs dishes, can only remember having them Fried (Deep, or Pan), or Sautéed, but with different spices/oils. When we hunted them, and prepped them, simple Pan-Frying was our norm, but we were more sophisticated hunters, than chefs...

When we were not so fortunate (say much if the Winter), my mother would buy frozen Frogs Legs, imported from India. Nice size, and good taste, for having been frozen. She got those, into the 1960’s.

I do not see them in enough menus (whether in New Orleans, or Paris), enough to make recs, but I find them different from Chicken, and usually better.

Seems that last time I had them in NOLA was on a Tasting Menu at Restaurant August. Last time I had them, though, was the Tasting Menu at La Folie, in San Francisco - tasty, but also tiny! Would guess imported from Asia?

Good luck,

Hunt

new orleans, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: information required

Im with ya loop! Gimme frogs over chicken any day of the week. My maw maw made them in red gravy over rice, then my mom, now my wife!

She can make all of my family's recipes-mostly ;)

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: information required

am from India-my uncle-my guardian for a few years used to have a marine sea food export business-used to have froglegs-when I went there in 1979 used to have it-think that was the last year it was available-its been banned since then in India-guess people like people for ethical treatment for animals dont like that.☺

Reply to: information required
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted