We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Walking between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco

It looks like it's pretty easy to walk between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco along the beach. Is it possible even at high tide?

Also, is it considered to walk this route at night, or is it considered a better idea to get a taxi?

We will be staying on Sunzal but would like to take advantage of the restaurants and bars in El Tunco as much as possible.

4 replies to this topic
Yukon
Level Contributor
311 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco

It's an easy walk at low tide. Not so sure about high tide. There is no beach at high tide, the water comes right up to the retaining wall in El Tunco. There may be a path behind the beach that I'm not aware of! We never tried the walk at high tide.

I don't recall seeing taxis in El Tunco, expect ones doing airport runs and dropping off/picking up at hotels. I stayed right in El Tunco. It's a tiny, tiny town with pedestrian friendly streets. Not a lot of vehicle traffic in the main part of town. It was safe to walk around El Tunco at night.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco

We stayed in El Tunco a few years ago, and that's a big reason we chose to stay in Sunzal (the place in El Tunco we stayed in last time was sold out).

I guess we'll just have to figure out the tides situation. Do you know if there's a handy tide chart for that area published anywhere?

Yukon
Level Contributor
311 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco

I always use magicseaweed.com for tide charts. I'm sure they'll have one for the area!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco

Thanks! Checked it out, looks good.

Reply to: Walking between Playa Sunzal and Playa el Tunco
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about El Sunzal