We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Fort Smith...
4 posts
Save Topic
Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Does anyone know the previous owners of Mrs. Miller's in Hot Springs, AR? My family and I really enjoyed the fruit conserve that they served and would like to get the recipe for it so we could make it ourselves. Thank you for any info you can provide!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

The last owner was Marcia Hudson and listed as "matriarch" of Mrs. Miller's was Lillian Moore, presumably Ms Hudson's mother. There is a Marcia and Dr. John B. Hudson at 125 Marian Anderson Cove, Hot Springs AR 71913 but I have not been able to determine if this is the same Ms Hudson who owned Mrs. Miller's. I sent an email to a friend and if I find out more I will let you know. I remember from when I was a kid Mrs. Miller's chicken pot pie, home made hot biscuits and nice waitresses who called you "hon".

Fort Smith...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Thank you so much! I am going to write them a letter.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Hey Nate. I have confirmed that Ms Hudson is located at the above address and that she likely will answer your letter. Good luck!

Fort Smith...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Thanks!

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Did you ever get it, by chance? I grew up in Little Rock, and have such fond memories of Mrs. Millers, especially the conserve. I live in Los Angeles now, and made a dried fruit compote the other day that made me think of her's, but its not the same! I would LOVE to be able to make it out here in LALA land! Thanks!

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

I've been wanting this recipe ever since my family ate at Mrs. Miller's in 2002. I bought several jars to give as gifts back home. Very yummy!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

I think we should all go into business making Mrs. Miller's fruit conserve.

Weldon Spring...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Hi there,

I too ate at this restaurant years ago and would like the recipe as well.

If you get it, could you send to sparkey1968@gmail.com please.

Thank you so much in advance.

Newport, Kentucky
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

Did you have any success writing a letter to the owner of Mrs. Miller's?

I am putting all of my grandmother's stories and journals she recorded while she was alive into a book and came across one story about her Aunt Clara, and her three daughters... one of whom is named Minnie. Here is some of what my grandmother wrote about the restaurant and her family members...

"Minnie owned “Miller’s Restaurant” which is still there, a very swanky restaurant with uniformed people who directed parking outside. Her cousin and his wife run it now. I went there and the wife had me go in the back to meet my third cousin. He was tall and big with sandy hair. He looked at me and I thought I was looking at myself. He was very quiet, not much to say. They had a fruit compote recipe of their own that they put up in jars with a picture of the restaurant on it and shipped all over. It had currants and watermelon rind in it. Don’t remember the other ingredients."

I was so surprised to find you mentioned the fruit compote in our post! It must be the same restaurant...

Please contact me at chrisxtinaxmarie@aol.com if you have any information! Thanks :)

Weldon Spring...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mrs. Miller's owner? (need fruit conserve recipe)

I found this and think it is similar.

Mixed Fruit Conserve

Preparation Time10 MinCooking Time30 Min

Ready In40 MinDifficulty LevelEasy

Ingredients

Peaches 3 Cup (16 tbs), pounded

2 cups pitted red plums cut up

Pears 2 Cup (16 tbs), diced

Seedless green grapes 1 Cup (16 tbs), halved

Sugar 4 Cup (16 tbs)

Blanched almonds 1/2 Cup (16 tbs)

Lemon juice 1/4 Cup (16 tbs)

Directions

In 10-quart kettle or Dutch oven combine peaches, plums, pears, and grapes.

Stir in sugar.

Cook and stir till sugar is dissolved.

Bring fruit mixture to full rolling boil.

Boil, uncovered, till , syrup sheets from metal spoon or candy thermometer registers 220°, 12 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly.

Stir in almonds and lemon juice.

Remove from heat.

Skim off foam with metal spoon.

Pour hot conserve into hot, sterilized half-pint jars or glasses.

Seal.

Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs