We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speed boat

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
270 reviews
Save Topic
Speed boat

Hi Guys,

We are visiting Kuramathi in May and getting a seaplane there... (landing in Male at 3pm) and then speed boat back (flight leaves male at 8.55am)

Do you see any issues with these timings?

I am guessing the sea plane is fine flying at 4-5pm?

But will the speed boat leave at say 6am which I guess is the latest I would need to leave for a 8.55am flight?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,298 Reviews
Kuramathi
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speed boat

Also just read this on the Kuoni website..

Group speedboat transfers are included for all flight arrivals before 1pm. Arrivals between 1pm and 3pm must have a seaplane transfer (at extra cost). Arrivals after 3pm require an overnight stay (at extra cost) at the airport hotel or Malé and a speedboat transfer the following day. Minimum stay 6 nights 24 Dec-05 Jan, 5 nights at other times.

Surely this is not the case and we wont be expected to stay at Male our first night?

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Speed boat

You arrive at 3 PM, so it will be ok, unless there is a big delay...

Why don't you do a seaplane transfer for going back to Male? It would be much gastar then teh speedboat and better...

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Speed boat

We are actually due to land at 3.05pm so it depends if they are really strict on times... either way seems a ridiculous rule that you cant get there if you land after 3pm??

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speed boat

If you have booked Kuramathi, they have your international flights timetables, so just Check with them that everything is ok, and you will feel better...

It is a logic norm, seaplanes only fly during daylight, If you arrive at 3 PM, immigration, luggage, seaplane ckeck-in and transfer to the seaplane terminal may take 1,5 hours, so it is time enough to take the seaplane with light, much later it would be impossible.

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,298 Reviews
Kuramathi
Southampton
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Speed boat

Hi this is the same flight times for us arriving with Oman air in March. We are taking the seaplane out and the boat back. Male airport is really small and it doesn't take long to clear immigration, only one plane arrival at a time when I have been there. They are very fast and efficient in the airport. I have seen planes and pilots stay at the resorts if they haven't got to fly back to Male. Sunset time for May is 18:10 and its only about 25 mins on the sea plane flight.

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speed boat

Seaplane there is fine, they fly till dusk, so well after five pm. As for the speed boat option, they need a cut off at some point. It's a pleasant speedboat trip, your plan is sound both there and back.

Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Speed boat

Thank you everyone. Really appreciate your input. Have emailed Kuoni anyway just to double check they don't have some weird agreement - hence them staying what's quoted above. Atleast I now know there's no valid reason why we would have to stay over in male when arriving at 3pm! :-) thank you!

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,101 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Speed boat

Purdys, I have arrived at Male at the same time that 2 other planes, so who knows what the OP can find, so I have explained it to them. Apart of that, I think they took too long in immigration, I don't think they are fast at all...

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
661 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Speed boat

When we stayed at Kuramathi we did the seaplane out, and speedboat back. Never again! I am normally fine on boats, but our crossing was really rough, all passengers were in an inside cabin of the boat, which was hot and stuffy and this was my one and only time of being really ill! I would get the seaplane both ways. We left Kuramathi at 5:30 am with a packed breakfast.

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,298 Reviews
Kuramathi
Basingstoke...
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Speed boat

Thanks Allie - what time did you fly in?

I'm hoping it's not some weird agreement kuramathi has with kuoni -- fingers crossed we are not expected to stay in male our first night eek!

Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi