We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rashdoo and sunset trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Rashdoo and sunset trip

What is the Rashdoo island trip? Anyone who's been is if worth going to is anything included food or drink?

What does sunset cruise involve included in package is there food and drink included?

Many thanks

8 replies to this topic
Hertfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

The trip to Rasdhoo is a trip to look around a locally inhabited island to see how the locals live. I think it includes a visit to a school and also some shops that sell local souvenirs. We've been to Kuramathi three times and never done the trip as most people seem unimpressed and personally we'd rather be spending our time on the resort.

The sunset cruise is a short trip out on a boat to watch the sunset. It takes around 60- 90 mins and includes a glass or two of Prosecco. It's a pleasant trip which is definitely worth doing and they regularly see dolphins (although we never have on our 3 visits!).

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

We did the Rasdoo trip on our first visit to Kuramathi and we were very disappointed I have to say. There was a little shop selling holiday bits and souvenirs and also a local ‘bar’ but nothing special at all and we certainly will not go again this year. The sunset cruise is lovely, a great photo opportunity and as mentioned a glass of bubbles. Sadly no dolphins on our last visit but... fingers crossed for June 😉

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
359 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

Hi we did the Rashdoo trip 5yrs ago so not sure if it's changed, we're very surprised at what we found, rubbish piles everywhere at the sea shore, (how can people have such a lack of respect for such a beutiful country) ignorant locals, good souvenir shop but nothing else, we felt very uneasy while on this island and couldn't wait to get off it, was such a reality check to see such a difference between this island and our holiday island two completely different ways of life was such a shock.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

We avoided the rashdoo trip, it didn't appeal to us and i'm sure i'd seen posts about the number of mossies as it's not a fogged island.

The sunset cruise was well worth it, I was admittedly a bit apprehensive beforehand as i thought i'd prefer to spend the time on the island but the sunset view was impressive and the Dolphins swimming alongside were a great experience.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

I've done a couple of different local island trips (elsewhere) and wouldn't describe either of them as particularly 'fun'. However, I'm a great believer in seeing real life - an island where people actually live, work and die is obviously very different to a resort island. I'm not saying you should do it...but that it might provide a view into the real Maldives. My kids actually found it extremely interesting and I note that one of them has a picture taken at a local island rather than a 'picture postcard' resort image as their FB profile pic.

I would say, with the greatest respect, that the 'ignorant locals' probably have the same view of wealthy tourists judging their home and way of life. I don't suppose the locals generated the rubbish piles at the sea shore - it's other people's rubbish that lands on their doorstep and then it's not easy for them to get rid of it.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, Disneyland Paris
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

Just a further thought if you do choose to go, I've not felt judged as ignorant, nor have I found people to be ignorant - everyone I've met has been pleasant enough, so I personally wouldn't avid a trip for that reason.

And we've found the best section of souvenirs at the best prices at a local island shop.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
471 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

We stayed on a local island in that area instead of a resort and enjoyed it very much. But we are not "resort people".

If you like to see a bit of the real and rough Maldives a visit to Rashdoo can be a nice experience. If you choose Maldives because you like the resort type of stay, don't go.

Norway
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Rashdoo and sunset trip

I really liked the trip to Rashdoo to see how locals live. It is not like the luxury we have at Kuramathi... I found the locals smiling and serviceminded. If you’d like to buy gifts for your loved ones at home: do it here! Much cheaper than the resort.

Sunset trip...

We didn’t have a sunset, didn’t see any dolphins, and the prosecco was...not worth it. But it was a Nice boattrip!

Reply to: Rashdoo and sunset trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi
Recent Conversations