We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Might be a strange question however ....

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Might be a strange question however ....

In my spare time (what little there is of it!!) I make jewellery using seed beads and crystals. When we go on holiday I try to source local beads so that when we get home I can make a piece of jewellery that will remind me of where we've visited. I read in a guide book that there is a village in Bali that makes beads but can't remember the name of the village or where I read about it !! We visit Bali at the beginning of September for 2 weeks, it will be our first trip and we're staying in Legian. can anyone help ??

Many thanks for taking time to read this

Helen

6 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,628 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Might be a strange question however ....

Maybe Bintang Supermarket on JL Legian 🤔🤔

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Might be a strange question however ....

Hi. Are the beads those little brown seeds??

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Might be a strange question however ....

You might be thinking of the Genitri seeds or sometimes called Rudraksha beads that are common in Bali. They are not limited to one village, however, as they literally grow on trees. You can find them in many places, for sale as strung as beads and fastened onto baskets and in bracelets and necklaces. Sometimes when I go take people to the Spice Market at Bedugul I pick a few up as they are very inexpensive.

Sydney
Level Contributor
284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Might be a strange question however ....

In Ubud there are a few villages ( and lots of shops) that make and sell silver beads which are very popular and often referred to as "Bali beads". Perhaps schedule in a day in Ubud.

fairhaven
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Might be a strange question however ....

Hi again. We go to a lovely little village cslled Bingin. Down at Uluwatu. I didn’t know but there are beads made there. Handcrafted, designed and blessed there. They are Aum Rudraksha Designs. I read on their Instagram page there are bead making classes at Yoga barn in Ubud each Wednesday x

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Might be a strange question however ....

Thank you to all who took the time to respond. Babycakes, I think, got pretty close to what I was thinking but others have thrown some lovely ideas into the mix. The little brown seeds sound very interesting so I'll look out for those. Maybe something unusual to bring home.Many many thanks x H x

Reply to: Might be a strange question however ....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Legian
Recent Conversations