We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

In February I intend visiting a friend's family village in Tianyar (not to be confused with Gianyar) in East Bali. It is apparently about 30 minutes drive from Kubu which is up the coast from Amed.

I have travelled from Amed up to Lovina some years back, so probably travelled quite close...but not stopped.

Now I am having trouble finding much information about the area (Tianyar) as it isn't a peak tourist location. Kubu has a few hotels, but I am hoping to stay closer to the village in a home-stay or similar, but my internet researching isn't helping.

Are there any experts out there that can lead me in the right direction?

Maps, homestays...any info greatfully accepted!

6 replies to this topic
Mijas, Spain
Level Contributor
865 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

Hi Debbie,

As you may have noticed Tianyar is quite close to the area which was devastated by the lava flow of Gunung Agung's 1963 eruption. It was then end still is the poorest and most arid region of Bali.

That is why I think there won't be any hotels nearer than Kubu. I know of some in Yeh Sanih, and of a 'traditional house' for tourists in Sembiran; but both are much farther to the west.

If your friend lives there, she might help you to find someone who wants to put you up (home-stay). But the level of comfort will be just that of a simple Balinese home.

Theo

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

Debbie: Your hosts would be best situated to help you find accomodation if you want to spend a night near them. Many people also let friends stay in their homes, even if they are not built to tourist standard it's possible if they have already invited you that they are open to you staying there.

Perth
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

Thanks for your help guys.

My friends know I am intending to visit but I don't want to impose on their hospitality. Hoped there may be an Air BNB or home stay that had missed my attention.

I may just play it by ear and book one night in Kubu and see what pans out.

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,364 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

Did you look at Spa Village Resort Tembok? Also there is a large volunteer program running in Tianyar and the volunteers have to be housed somewhere. Perhaps get in touch with them and ask for advise.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

Thanks fame...I had stumbled across Yayasan Widya Sari the volunteer program I assume you are talking about a while back. I know they have some rooms for volunteers but they would probably be in the know about other accommodation as you suggested. Their program sounds interesting as well, so it may lead to other things :)

It is an area that I am really looking forward to visiting but seems difficult to get much information about.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?

DebbieDenmark and DebbieWA are you both visiting this same person in Kubu? I still think whoever is hosting both of you to this visit would know more about the immediate area..

Reply to: Kubu, Tianyar, Karangasem, East Bali - any experts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Karangasem
Recent Conversations
More Karangasem Topics