We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Hi! I’m looking to go to Amed later this month. Wondering if there is a place toget SIM cards for my iPhone?

Also where can I rent a motorbike or 2 person scooter? I am looking to stay at the Griya Villas for the week. Is it beneficial to have a bike to go for dinner or bars nearby? Or are there some nice places within walking distance? Thank you in advance for your help.

11 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Hi pmasi,

What is your exact overall Bali itinerary.

We go to Amed every year and transfer directly on landing. We stay down at the Jemeluk bay area.

The Griya isn't far from Lipah beach area. You will find some local places to eat.

The other side of Lipah beach you'll find Sails. It is 1.2km walk. Perosnal thing if it is or isn't walkable but a nice location. You have to walk up hill from Lipah beach. Can check but I think Sails does free pickups/dropoffs.

SIM CARDS

Your itinerary?

The problem is that new rules came in end of February about Sim registration. Sim has to be registered with Passport info and xan only be done at official Telcom shops. There was an article in Jakarta tomes that said users should also be able to register by text/sms but It is very grey as to whether there are issues buying Sims locally.

We will be having this problem as we transfer directly to Amed on landing (next May). Had intended to get a Sim in Candidasa as we always stop at a minimart to get some stuff on the way to Amed and there is a Sim place next door.

Problem has been that there have been reports of people buying Sims from small shops and basically stop working after a couple of days.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

There’s only one shop in Amed where you can buy SIM cards. At Amed Cellular which is near Meeting Point Cafe. A local friend says that you can register it there with ID he thinks. He buys SIMS there for himself & his family & registers with their ID

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Thank you for your reply. My itinerary will have me in Amed for a week and possibly a few days in Ubud before I head home. I may go to Pemuteran for more diving but will see how I feel after Amed. I am wondering if I should spend a night or two in Candidasa before going to Amed. The Rama Candidasa looks nice and the beach is pretty. I prefer quiet an not as tourist areas. I will have a motorbike in Amed should I day trip to Candidasa or overnight?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Thanks Ursi57 I will look out for it

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
88 reviews
5. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Hi Pmasi,

If you are doing as us and transferring directly to Amed on landing then if early enough whilst transferring you can go into a Phone shop in Candidasa or Sanur on the way.

We're off in May and also doing Amed then Pemuteran (diving/snorkeling(chillaxing) before Ubud.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Pemuteran is lovely & quiet. We spent a week there last year & have booked 2 weeks there next trip at Tirta Sari Bungalows. Not beachside but only 2 mins walk to the beach. You could visit Candidasa from Amed or stay there for a change of scenery/environment.

In Amed accommodation staff will often rent out their scooters for 50,000 per day.

I’m meeting up with my best friend in Amed in June. She lives in Sarnia so is from your neck of the woods.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Thank you Not a pigsty for that info. Is Candidasa worth a stay?

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

I checked with my friend again regarding registration of SIMS. Locals can register with their ID. But as a tourist the shop owner would have to register your phone in his name using his ID. If you wanted to register in your own name you’d have to visit Telkomsel in Amlapura which is approx half an hours drive.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Thank you Ursie57 for the information. I might not book an entire week in Amed. I will do a day trip to Candidasa and see if I want to stay a few days there. I spent some time in Sanur my last visit. It was ok, still too busy for my liking. Then I spent a week in Tulamben diving. It was amazing for diving, but not much else. I will only do 1 dive a day in Amed so it leaves me time to explore. You make good choices in friends... 🙂 Hope you have a wonderful trip in June.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental

Just let me know if you want any more info about Amed. My friend emigrated to Canada after her wedding. We hadn’t seen each other for 30 years but picked up where we left off. Magical! We’re in Bali May & June & they’re joining us for 2 weeks in June. I’m soooo excited!

Edited: 13 April 2018, 19:41
Reply to: SIM cards in Amed and motorbike rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amed