We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

Kapiti Coast, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
45 reviews
103 helpful votes
Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

Our flight gets in at 9pm and I gather it will take around 3 hours to get to Amed. We hope to book a driver to take us there.

Do you think we would be safe driving there at night or should we wait until the next day and get driven in daylight.

It is a nutty world out there theses days so trying to be sensible about this. !!

9 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,646 posts
60 reviews
91 helpful votes
1. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

You should get a driver from the area to take you as they'll know the roads. We use and highly recommend Moyo Transport. We have friends who arrive all hours of the night from Europe, and they transfer on arrival.

If you decide to overnight and go the next day, Sanur is a sensible option, about 30 minutes from the airport, and on the away to Amed.

Here is details for Moyo and his drivers. moyo-tulamben.com/bali-transportation-servic…

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,398 posts
70 reviews
93 helpful votes
2. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

You will be fine. We always go through to Candidasa (around an hour south of Amed) irrespective of the hour. The only reason not to, would be if you want to see the scenery along the way, but you could do that coming back...

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
95 reviews
63 helpful votes
3. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

As #1 - we always Transfer to Amed on landing (from Munich) but I always make sure my flight arrives at a decent hour. More because of the Long flight and I like to start diving the next day.

Only Thing is, depending on exactly where you are staying in Amed, if you'd ike to pick up some stuff on the way (we normally stop quickly in Candidasa for water, mozzie room spray/plugins etc) then stop in Sanur.

We always use Moyo after being recommended him by "cbimages" a few years ago. We use him for all our Amed related tours and Transfers whether to/from DPS/Kuta or Ubud. This year we will also be using him to transfer to Pemuteran after Amed.

Kapiti Coast, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
45 reviews
103 helpful votes
4. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

Thanks for that..I have heard of Moyo so will use them to book the transfer..maybe he can take us shopping the next day.!!

Kapiti Coast, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
45 reviews
103 helpful votes
5. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

Do you suggest getting mozzie room sprays/plugins...they love my husband and will be waiting at the front door for his arrival.!!!

We have booked into Shankara Parada villas so we can snorkel off the beach but wonder if it is too far away from anything and should look for something closer to the main area of Amed.??

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
95 reviews
63 helpful votes
6. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

Hi Travelling,

we are always armed with anti-mozzie stuff as I am allergic to the bites (before even thinking about Dengue) and where we stay has half open bathrooms. use the room spray to spray around door/window Frames/under the bed.

Shankara Parada villas is on the coast road but uphill on a cliff part. No direct beach Access; but only 400m walk downhill to Lipah Beach area where you'll find a few small local minimarts, places to eat etc.

You'll have to walk down to Lipah Beach to snorkel.

Sanur Bali
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
39 reviews
40 helpful votes
7. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

Doing the journey at night would be the wrong thing to do.. The scenery along the way is awesome and you will miss seeing it. In my opinion this is a very scenic drive and you will miss seeing all of it.

Make this into a holiday and not an endurance test. Book a hotel in Sanur for the evening. If you decide to take the drive at night it will be 1 or 2 AM before you arrive in Amed. This is equivalent to 6 or 7 AM in New Zealand. You will spend most of what accounts as your second day here simply sleeping.

Sydney
Level Contributor
834 posts
57 reviews
32 helpful votes
8. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

I think it would be safe as long as your driver knew the roads but I think you'd be missing out on some of the prettiest, culturally beautiful areas of East Bali if you drove through in the dark. Maybe consider booking a cheap hotel, close to the airport for the first night then taking advantage of the 2nd day to do a day trip transfer to Amed. This would also give you the opportunity to change some money, get supplies down south as Amed has less of this on offer (I'm not even sure if there is a money changer after Candidasa - I once asked in Amlapura and found there wasn't one). Have a great trip!

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
8,710 posts
49 reviews
80 helpful votes
9. Re: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night

I suggest you stay at Sanur the first night. Rest, change money the next day (better rate than Amed), stock up on snacks and drinks and then enjoy the trip to Amed. Perhaps stop at Ugung Water Palace, Tirta Gangga or Charlie's Chocolate Factory on the way.

The location of Shankara Parada is good for snorkeling and you are very close to Wayan's Warung which is a must do. You have a decent size mini mart just near you as well.

Reply to: Travelling from Denpasar to Amed at night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Amed