We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerala Houseboat

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kerala Houseboat

Hi

I want to do a 1 night - 2 days houseboat cruise in Kerala from 10th to 11th Aug (fixed dates, cant move around). I am keen to do Allepey as well as Kumarakom (through boarding and landing at different places).

Have 3 questions:

1. The day co-incides with the Nehru boat race in Allepey. However houseboat companies have given me quotes for that day and haven't mentioned that they wouldn't be doing the trips. One of them though mentioned that houseboats are not allowed to operate on that day in Allepey area. Thoroughly confused on who is telling the truth. If boats are operating in Allepey on 10th, shall I book a boat which allows me to see the race from the boat?

2. I have received quotes varying from 6k to 12 k for 1 bedroom houseboat. What should be the acceptable rate for this season?

3 . I have got quotes from the following companies: Elite houseboats, Nature Vision, Kerala.com for Indraprastham, AllHouseBoats - Yamuna, and Kumarakom Houseboats holiday (luxury houseboat). Any reviews on this? Any that I should definitely avoid or definitely go in for?

Please advise.

Thanks a ton!

1. Re: Kerala Houseboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 21:05
Kerala
Destination Expert
for Kerala, Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Munnar
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kerala Houseboat

Hello Moncica0710,

1.you can cruise in the Alleppey backwaters . during that day houseboats are not allowed to make check-in from the nehru trophy boat terminal( which is the venue for the race) . Hence you would be checked-in to the boat from some other area ( pallathuruthy or punnamada or chungam etc) . but this doesnt mean that houseboat cruises are not allowed in Alleppey area , it is applicable only to the race track , as i said above .

2. the rates mentioned itself show the demand ( created !!) for houseboats for that day . ask them ( for those quoting 6000 ) if that is for on independent boat or a shared one ( people do that normally at these heavy rush days ) .something in the range of 9000- 10000 would be the rates for a standard houseboat during THAT particular day .

3. i have come across some reviews of elite houseboats and indraprastham here , i would try to bring it up here

NB: personally i wouldnt recommend you to watch nehru trophy race by hiring a houseboat ,it is very crowded and no guarantee that you can be lined near the race track to see it from your boat

3. Re: Kerala Houseboat

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2013, 20:17
New Delhi
Level Contributor
1 post
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kerala Houseboat

We hired a two bed room boat for 10K for 4 people 1 night from Alleppy and I reckon that was higher in this season. However, you may like to do a bit more research on staying for two days on a boat. Here is what I shared in my review earlier - tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

5. Re: Kerala Houseboat

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 18:25
Varkala, India
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kerala Houseboat

try in varkala backwater near varkala beach , also for a cheaper rate with same facilities.

7. Re: Kerala Houseboat

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 26 September 2014, 10:53