We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

It is pathetic to hear that on 26th Jan 2013 an accident took place at Kayal Kurissadi boat jetty Alleppey which claimed lives of 4

This tragedy occured when 63 member team of a private company from Chennai went for this houseboat trip

thehindu.com/news/…

Safety to the tourist must be assured by the operator and the Governemnt must ensure the same without doing blame game

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

What an unspeakable thing for all those involved. So many lives will never be the same again.

I have always avoided pleasure boats in India (and plenty of other countries too!) as I am never entirely confident of their loads, operator standards, safety etc. I was shocked by the passenger jetty at Kochi some years ago; 'rickety' didn't even go towards describing it! To avoid using the ferry there, I paid a taxi driver extra to take the very long road route, also then taking a further road route to the Bolgatty Palace Hotel. If I remember correctly, there was a boat accident in Kerala about 5 years ago in which local school children on a day trip were also killed. The authorities should impose higher safety regulations and not wait until the next incident.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
910 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

Hi,

It is a real sad news.

Sreejith PC

Experience Kerala

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

What a terrible thing to happen, condolences to the victims families.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

Just to add, londonraffles, I'm the same I never go on these boat trips as I just don't trust the owners of the boats, they compromise people's safety to save money, I'm not saying they all do but there's just too many tragedies happen.

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

Very tragic incident ,

deep condolences

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

Hi Londonraffles ,

you are right !

The way people are ferried across during the busy times , is really shocking

yes it was the incident in Thattekkad few years back which lead to the loss of many innocent school children on an excursion

it was after the incident in Thekkady a couple of years back , that government actually started ' some ' monitoring and law enforcement measures. more... more.. more to be done by the government as well as the industry themselves

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

Sad indeed. It pains to see that we need a tragedy every time to realize that a problem actually exists. If all tourism stakeholders don't wake up, identify problems that exist and fix them, soon we will have tourists boycotting these products, and that will hurt both, industry and the state. Hope and pray we don't come to that.

Having said that there are govt. certification available for houseboats and few companies have opted for the same. The Kerala Tourism website has a list. I think Tour Operators and Tourists alike should support and encourage these firms by opting for their houseboats. This may then encourage others to follow suit.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

if there are certified boat operators the government should not allow non certified operators to do the business if the government seriously want to avoid such accidents in future

travelers also educated about it they must reject non certified operators for their own safety

Silvassa
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

Edited: 27 January 2013, 22:36
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1 post
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alleppey Boat accident kiiled 4 people

The problem is not with the Boats or its Operators. The issue is that this industry is not regulated with no agency taking full ownership. When there are no clear guidelines and strong laws to enforce them it leads to tragedies. When will the government wake up? After the death of the industry? Tourism is the only lifeline for Alleppey & its sad to see the Government not acting on regulating the industry.