We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Hi all,

Will be travelling to Kampot and Kep in august after being in Phnom Penh and then from there going to Siem Reap. I was wondering the best way of getting to SR without going back to PP. Was thinking of going to Sihanoukville for a night and then flying to SR. I though thte train would be a great way to see the countryside. We are taking the train from PP to Kampot and wondered if this was a good idea. Otherwise a taxi or car? Fell free to let me know your own experiences.

PS not keen to travel on "dancing" buses or mini vans - just saying up front!

8 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
131 reviews
1. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Loved our trip in November from PP to Kampot on a Friday afternoon!

Cheap, air-con was pretty good... bring some snacks... the last hour or so was in darkness but we have some great pics of the sun setting over the countryside.... finding your seat number was a bit of a problem but in the end, pretty much sat where we liked...

Few years ago we planned to stay 2 nights in Sihanoukville, only lasted one night but that was due to poor choice in Hotel, avoid Queenco Palm Beach! Some nice little local restaurants in town but apart from that, we rather spend our time elsewhere.

Your accommodation in Kampot should be able to arrange a car/private transfer to Sihanoukville Airport but given there are more flights from PP to SR, I'd head back to PP and catch flight from there to Siem Reap.

my two bobs worth.... cheers, baddles

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Thank you for your information. Its good to get it from someone who has been there!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
131 reviews
3. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

There has been a few chats about the train on this forum.... Inaspin has posted timetable previously too...

In the main forum search for Train under Cambodia Forums rather than just Kampot and you may find a bit more info...

cheers, baddles

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Last year we travelled from Kampot to Sihanoukville by train and loved it. There was so much to see and it was comfortable and air conditioned. We just took a few snacks with us. In August we’ll be doing it again, staying one night at Otres 2 before flying to Siem Reap. Not sure if you’re aware, the train only runs on weekends and maybe one on Monday and Friday (would need to check the Mon / Fri) so it may not work in with your plans.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15,645 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

I've posted this train timetable before but here it is again.

Currently, trains depart Phnom Penh Railway Station as follows for Sihanoukville.:

Every FRIDAY at 15:00 PM

Every SATURDAY at 07:00 AM

Every SUNDAY at 07:00 AM

Every SUNDAY at 16:00 PM

Additional trains MAY be scheduled for public holidays.

Best regards. Ian/Angkorlad

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Thank you all for your information. I was not sure if it was a good idea, but now think it is an option, as long as there is a train at the time we are travelling. Thank you Angkorlad for posting the timetable again. It is good to get information from those who have been there ronnie123 and baldricandbaddles.

London, United...
Level Contributor
595 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Please can you tell me if it’s a good idea to book the train in advance or to do it once in PP? Or to just turn up (I’m a bit nervous about that option as there is only one train a day).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville

Ended up catching a taxi to the airport in the end due to days travelling. It was more convenient.

Reply to: What is the train service like from Kampot to Sihanoukville
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted