We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
46 reviews
Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Hello, we are travelling to Kampot in Dec 2018 we would like to go by road and then ferry from Kampot to Phu Quoc does anyone know whether we can cross the coastal border from Cambodia into Vietnam - and if you can is it straightforward?

10 replies to this topic
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,654 posts
169 reviews
1. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Whilst waiting for replies to your query, I would have a look at the previous threads on the subject and answers given on travelling to/from Phu Quoc, if you have not already done so, as they may have the details you're looking for

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
46 reviews
2. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Thank you, I’ll go ahead and go that, although now I’ve read more about Phu Quoc I don’t think we’re going to go there!

Ha Tien, Vietnam
Level Contributor
875 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

There are NO boats from Kampot (or anywhere in Cambodia for that matter) to Phu Quoc island.There are all sorts of rumours,and these have been about for years.Personally I can't see it ever happening The land border at Prek Chak/Xa Xia (Ha Tien) is quite easy to go through-BUT Avoid peak times-there were some people here yesterday who had taken 4 hours to get to Ha Tien from Kampot.The travel agents then told them that they had missed the bus to Saigon,and they had to wait until 10pm to get a night bus.I have said this many times,but do NOT travel with the travel agents minibuses ,as at this time of year the delays can be so long that ferries and buses are missed.If this happens you won't even get an apology,much less any assistance or compensation.If it is at all feasible,travel independently and go through the border when there aren't 60+ people queuing up.

London, United...
3 posts
4. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Thanks very much for the info about crossing the border Kampot-Ha Tien. We are going there with a family of 5 on 26/12/18. You mentioned peak times, what are the peak times? Also I am happy to travel independently. What would you recommend? Mini van from Phnom penh to Kampot and than walk over the border? Do you know if we need to book our boat tickets to Phu Quoc in advance in the busy season (26/12)?

Many thanks

Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Mini van from Phnom penh to Kampot and than walk over the border?

The vietnamese border is 45 km away from Kampot, have a look at the map. Kampot is ok for a day, then arrage transport to the border is what I'd advise.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
46 reviews
6. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Many thanks

London, United...
3 posts
7. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Thanks for your message. I was responding to a message that said that it might take long to cross the border at Kampot - Ha Tien if you travel with an agency. I therefore wondered what would be the best way for a family of 5? Should we book a private mini-van that takes us to the border? Apparently the mini van doesn't take you over the border so I wondered if you then have to walk to cross the border and book another mini van in Vietnam that takes you to the ferry in Ha Tien? Many thanks.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
8. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Flag Phu Quoc mate, I was there couple weeks back. It’s a dry dusty place and the folk there are a sour bunch. A fart in an astronaut suit would be more welcome. A few locals tried to scam us aswell. Lucky we were awake to it. Try out the Fillipines, cheap Charlie, safe and lovely people. Recommend Siquijor and Panglao. Safe travels.

Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Hello Pauline,

Never been to the Vietnamese border myself, but yeah, I'd suggest booking a private mini-van or taxi in kampot that takes you earlier then the normal bus to the border. The taxi doesn't take you over the border, but you walk across it and there is always some transport waiting if it is such a busy border as it seems to be. Booking a taxi should be easy in Kampot; plenty of them at the bus station or ask your hotel. Good luck.

London, United...
3 posts
10. Re: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc

Hartelijk dank Rolf! We gaan het ervaren in december.

Groet, Pauline

Reply to: Travel from Kampot to Phu Quoc
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted