We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fourth of July family events

Leander, TX
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Fourth of July family events

My daughter has a gymnastics competition over July 4th. At home, in a city outside of Austin, our family attends a small town event at the park... craft vendors, food trucks, kettle corn, wholesome live music, and lots of space to throw a frisbee or football. At the end of the night a beautiful fireworks show.

Is there anything like this that we can enjoy this year over the 4th?

3 replies to this topic
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Fourth of July family events

Greensboro has a Fun Fourth Festival downtown. In 2017 it started downtown at 1pm and ended with fireworks at the ball park.

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
1 post
51 reviews
2. Re: Fourth of July family events

If you're looking for the smaller hometown feel I'd recommend driving to Kernersville on July 4th. It's a straight shot down I40.

We like to see fireworks at Kernersville Elementary school, which is about 15-20 minutes from Greensboro. The school is adjacent to Fourth of July Park, which has nice playgrounds, a creek, and small woods to roam while you wait for the fireworks. There are tennis courts, a skate park, basketball court and a one-room school built in the 1800s. There's a paved walking trail and a dog park. We like to pack a picnic and arrive late afternoon to get a good parking space at the park. Traffic can be brutal leaving. (Word of advice. The park occasionally runs out of toilet paper. The bathrooms are usually clean and they're fairly modern. But bring a roll just in case.)

There is live music at the school's football field from sundown and fireworks usually start around 9, right after sunset. The fireworks will last a long time, probably 15-20 minutes and are quite spectacular. There are usually a few good trucks.

The town's fireworks can generally be seen from anywhere in Kernersville.If you're looking for the smaller hometown feel I'd recommend the drive to Kernersville as opposed to staying in Greensboro on the 4th of July. It's a straight shot down I40.Kernersville. Ask a local their favorite place to see them.

Kernersville has a parade in the morning if you can make a day of it. After the parade, explore Koerner's Folley or the Botanical Gardens. Downtown Kernersville is quaint and houses a lot of good local businesses and parks. Kernersville offers a good choice of restaurants.

There are lots of options in the Piedmont Triad for free family fun. Check out the calendar at piedmonttriadliving.com for more local events.

Edited: 06 January 2018, 09:08
NC
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: Fourth of July family events

If you're in Greensboro already, I'd just stay there for the fun festival. There are lots of fun things to do there as well and without the drive to Kernersville. If you're tied up at the Coliseum for a lot of the time, the last thing you will want to do is drive I-40 to Kernersville and back to Greensboro. The festival is downtown and is only 10 min from the coliseum.

Wishing your daughter lots of luck at the competition! :)

Reply to: Fourth of July family events
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Greensboro