We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,151 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

I've been on the internet and seen photos of this lovely little waterfall named Spruce Flat. However, this one has alluded me over the years and I'm ready to go see it.

I understand that it's trail is located in the Tremont section of the park and a hike of about 1 mile each direction is involved.

What I need to know is the difficulty of the hike, comparison trails, etc. Is the trail clearly marked in the Tremont area? How long do I need for the average hike to this falls?

Chicago West Burbs
Level Contributor
79 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

When you get to the Tremont Institute, the trailhead is to the right of the information building by the parking lot. It's a small sign about a foot off the ground. The hike was not difficult (I only do easy/moderate) - parts of it was rocky but well worth it. I think it took us about 1-1/2 hrs tops. We went in the Spring of 2006 and it was beautiful. Had the place to ourselves. Passed 4 other hikers on the whole trip.

gosmokies.com used to have a trail database which had great descriptions of the hikes. I just checked the website but don't see it anymore.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

We just did this trail on Saturday. It's a really nice little hike. When you park at the first building for the Tremont Institute, there's an information sign out front that explains exactly how to get to the trail and then when you come to a fork in the trail, there are arrow signs that say "Falls" (although one of them had fallen down). It's not a difficult hike but there are some fairly steep sections, especially right at the beginning and then at the end, but there are plenty of rocks and tree roots if you feel like you need a steadying hand. There are some rocky spots and one place where you have to cross a small stream but it was easy to keep your feet dry. This past weekend, there were some areas that were pretty icy so we had to watch out for that, but if you were going at a warmer time, you obviously wouldn't have that problem. However, on Saturday, large sections of the waterfall and the pools at the bottom were frozen and it was quite spectacular. The ice was a nice touch that made watching out for slick spots worth it!

I wasn't watching the time, but I would guesstimate that we probably got from the parking lot to the falls in about half an hour. So, even if you were really creeping and taking your time you could get there, check out the view, and get back in a pretty short amount of time. The best part of course is that it's pretty low traffic. My DBF and I refer to it as "the secret hike." I understand though, that the Institute uses the trail and falls for some of its programs so if you happened to be there on a day they were doing something there might be a crowd. On Saturday we only saw one other group.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,151 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

Crowds don't bother me on trails. As a matter of fact, kinda makes me feel a little more "secure" knowing others are around in case an emergency happened.

Do any of you know a trail to compare this one with?

Nashville,Tn
Level Contributor
53 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

I hiked this trail last August during the big drought,and I would say the waterfall was more like a "trickle" back then.I would characterize this trail as being narrow and winding,but not particularly difficult.(Our 5 year old was able to complete the trail without difficulty.)There are a lot of tree roots and rocks to step over.This is also the most solitary hike I've ever been on in the Smokies-our family didn't see one other person on the trail.

Hope this helps!

ohio
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

This is a very nice waterfall. The trail is a little steep in the beginning and it is not a maintained trail.Thats why it's not in current hiking books. We couldn't find the trailhead right away then a nice employee showed us where to go. I think we only met 2 other people on this trail. I think it took about 2 hrs. I have a picture in my profile. For some reason it came through untitled. It's the one down by the sunset pictures.

valparaiso, indiana
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

hi!!

i actually took a class at the smoky mountain institute and did the trail with some friends when we had free time. not knowing anything about this trail at all i wore sandals!!! what a mistake. the trail took us maybe 35-40 minutes one way but we were really trying to do the trail fairly quickly because we had classes we needed to go to. the trail is not maintained and i think that if i wore different shoes and was not in such a hurry the trail would not have been so bad. however, it was well worth it. the waterfall is beautiful and it is very secluded. my friends and i jumped in and took pics standing in the waterfall. great experience.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,151 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

Hey everyone,

If any of you take this hike this spring, please report back about your trip. I wouldn't want to risk injuring my hip on a rough trail if the waterfall at the end isn't very full.

TIA

8. Re: Tell Me About The Hike To Spruce Flat Falls Near Tremont

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 19:48