We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a cabin without reservations

MI
Destination Expert
for Ludington
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a cabin without reservations

Has anyone personally arrived in Gatlinburg or P.F. and rented a cabin without reservations? We are considering doing this in Feb or March. After having to cancel our 2 latest vacation trips due to a sons medical emergencies, I am really gun shy about reservations. Granted we did not loose a great deal of money, but we did have to loose a part of our deposits. I am thinking that Feb/March is not a busy time of year, why not just stop in at our first choice and ask what kind of deal they would give us for a 4-5 day rental at the spur of the moment?

Eden, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

At that time of the year you should be just fine. You probably would get a great deal. I would do that definately with the circumstances.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,597 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

Just remember that Easter is coming early next year (2008) on March 23rd, so if you are thinking of going the weeks on either side of Easter, getting one without reservations is going to be much tougher.

February, except for maybe President's Day weekend, shouldn't be a problem.

Salem, Virginia
Level Contributor
326 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

Yes, I noticed that cabin rentals with some companies are 20 dollars more a night for the week of March 23rd. That's 100 dollar diff. for the week-gesh.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,597 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

You should see the price differences in Orlando for those week surrounding Easter.

Holidays bring out the gougers in the entire tourism industry.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

I think you would have a good chance to get a great deal that way. You may want to have a back-up plan just in case...book a hotel that you could cancel without penalty if it is before 6pm. Just a thought.

Oneonta, Alabama
Level Contributor
942 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

I would also avoid the weekend before and after Valentine's Day in February. When our cabin was rented through a management company, we often had 'walk ins' who just arrived at the office and asked what was available, so that does happen a good bit. I don't think you would have a problem finding something.

Lisa

sevierville TN
Level Contributor
463 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

You should have no problem getting a cabin. The best of the cabins will probably be reserved so you may not get the best of the best but that time of year there are plenty of empties around. You actually will probably get the best deal that way.

8. Re: Renting a cabin without reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 15:47