We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best horseback riding in the Smokies

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best horseback riding in the Smokies

My husband and I will be vacationing in Gatlinburg in October. This will make our 6th trip. We have always wanted to go horseback riding but never got around to it. What are the best stables to go to? Is it very expensive? Thanks!!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,575 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best horseback riding in the Smokies

The going rate is usually around $20 per person per hour.

I don't know the "best" in the area, but you do have several companies to choose from.

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
459 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best horseback riding in the Smokies

We like Walden Stables.

Eden, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best horseback riding in the Smokies

Walden Stables is the best in my opinion also. Check out their website.

Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best horseback riding in the Smokies

Thanks you all for your replies. I did a board search on horseback riding and a lot of the posts said Cades Cove was a good place to go. Neither me or my husband have ever ridden horses. Are Walden Stables and Cades Cove trails okay for inexperienced riders?

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
270 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best horseback riding in the Smokies

http://www.deerfarmzoo.com/

This is a link to a riding stable that we rode with, I know the name sounds a little cheesy, but very nice ride up a mountain, right on the edge, scary at times! Very nice horses, and employees. I am a previous horse owner, and the horses seemed well cared for, which is important to me. Also, we are returning next week to Gatlinburg, and will be riding again with these guys we liked them so well! Their site lists the prices, and they have a printable coupon also. Have fun, our horseback ride last year was the highlight of our trip!

If you decide to go with Cades Cove, please let me know how your experience was.

Orange Beach
Level Contributor
459 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best horseback riding in the Smokies

I had replied that we preferred Walden Stables. We have ridden at Cades Cove, Walden Stables and several other establishments over the years while in the Smokies. I think you will find that all of the trail rides can be handled by the inexperienced rider. The rides are led by guides and the horses require very little guidance to follow the leader. You will pay for the ride at some establishments by hour or trail you select. Cades Cove I believe has one set price - someone correct me if I am wrong on that. The pricing is not that expensive. It's less than the cost of most of the shows you might choose to attend. At Cades Cove the rides are mostly in the woods and you don't really see the valley itself, because I absolutely love Cades Cove. If there were better views without a doubt that one would have been my favorite. The only reason we found Walden Stables is because we were staying near there on Bluff Mountain. Our daughter had come with us and wanted to go horseback riding. We decided to check our Walden Stables. It was a family run establishment. Their sons and daughters were leading the trips. We chose a hillside two hour trip and when we returned, we were told that during the week they hold a cook out/hayride for all their customers. We were expecting them to tell us it would cost additional dollars, but were suprised to learn that it was free. Now what I consider free is when the ride itself didn't cost any more than any other stable and they still didn't charge us to come back. If the ride had cost twice as much then I wouldn't have considered it free. Well we were going to be in the mountains for a few more days so we decided what could it hurt. We came back on the appointed day and time and we were pleasantly surprised. When we arrived there were Native Americans, dressed in full regalia and with native instruments. They sang and chanted and told of their tribe. We were loaded onto hay wagons and began a ride through the pastures and woods. We were brought to a big open field and we were treated to trick riding, old western trick shooting and "hold ups". It was a regular wild west show. They served hot dogs and grilled pork chops, tea, biscuits and I believe beans and either slaw or potato salad and had chips, etc. There was a bonfire. We got to meet a lot of people that had gone on rides that week as well. It was really a nice little get together - and all because we had gone on one of their trail rides. I figured it was the best value for my money. I have the cutest picture of our guide. Our guide for the trail ride was probably not more than 11 years old (one of the youngest sons)and the cutest little red head with freckles on a big old paint horse. He literally kept us in stitches the whole way on the ride - he was so funny. He really wasn't all that anxious to get back to the stables so he took us much longer and further than normal. He was such a delight. My husband was riding a mule and the rest of us were on horses. He would rib my husband good naturedly. That ride was one of the best we ever had. Everytime I see that picture of that little red head with freckles I smile about that trip. After that experience Walden Stables became our favorite.

7. Re: Best horseback riding in the Smokies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 09:51