We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stops along the way

1 post
Stops along the way

Hi! My husband, 3 little boys and I are driving to Gatlinburg from Miami for New Years. I want to break up the drive with a stop along the way. Any cool cities besides Savannah, Atlanta or Charleston? Love all 3 but we've been there and I'm hoping to check out a new city. I appreciate the feedback!

10 replies to this topic
Grove City, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Stops along the way

Chattanooga, TN has a lot of history and plenty of attractions.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Stops along the way

St. Augustine, FL

Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach, FL

Asheville, NC

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,295 reviews
3. Re: Stops along the way

Another vote for Asheville, NC.

orlando
Level Contributor
279 posts
181 reviews
4. Re: Stops along the way

If you drive via Atlanta or Chattanooga (both great cities to visit) your trip will take at least an hour longer. We make the trip from Orlando about 10 times per year. We only use I75 when the roads are closed in N.C. or S.C. as they were during Hurricane Florence. St Augustine and Asheville would both be good stops.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,624 posts
112 reviews
5. Re: Stops along the way

We usually take I-75 going up and I-95 coming back or vice versa. It would be about 9 hours to Atlanta from Miami or you could overnight in Valdosta or Macon. From Atlanta you would then only be about 2.5 to 3 hours from Chattanooga. Check out their forum for things to see & do while there. From Chattanooga head to north and exit at Lenoir and onto Hwy 321, you can then take it thru Townsend with a stop at Cades Cove on the way or stay on Hwy 321 which comes out in Wears Valley.

Coming back I agree with a stop in Asheville, its a good place to visit or Bryson City and explore a bit in that area. Savannah is a must do for us on almost every trip, Gotta get those Pralines on River Street!

Ohio
Level Contributor
545 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Stops along the way

Yes I do agree with bornwithwheels he has some great suggestions not one of them could you go wrong by visiting.

Safe and happy travels ..enjoy;)

Richmond, Indiana
Level Contributor
214 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Stops along the way

I say Chattanooga TN. Such a fun city especially by the river.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
41 posts
53 reviews
8. Re: Stops along the way

I agree with Chattanooga. They have Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls. Downtown is pretty also and they have a great aquarium there.

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
5 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Stops along the way

Jekyll Island, GA is a nice place to stop on the way and you can never go wrong with Savannah. As a FL resident, I think both of these would be great spots because you are going to be approximately splitting the drive in half coming from Miami. On another note, Allegiant Air has great deals from a couple of spots in Florida to Knoxville for very good prices. Knoxville is about a hour away

Ohio
Level Contributor
545 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: Stops along the way

I stayed in Tybee GA Island while visiting the Savannah area its a small /quaint type of town but really nice and friendly also a fun spot ... its on the east coast though...about 20 miles I think from Savannah GA...just another suggestion;)

Reply to: Stops along the way
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted