We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

San Diego...
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

Quick background: We are a family of 5 with 3 children ages 3 to 12. We have never been to Tennessee but we are planning a Thanksgiving trip. I am planning on flying into Nashville and then renting a Mini Van and driving to the Smokey Mountain area.

I am hoping to stay in Gatlinburg as to be close to the SMNP as well as the attractions and Pigeon Ford. As a family that travels frequently we find it ideal to rent private residences (usually through in airbnb type site.) With all that being said, I'm having a hard time finding a private Residence Inn Gatlinburg for our family to rent. We definitely do not want to stay in a hotel and most of what else I saw was rental property type places with many cabins lumped together in one area. We prefer to have our own private space without a neighbor that we can reach out and touch. We already have here in Southern California! I did read over the cabin facts and some other posts but couldn't quite find an answer. Is there speeds obal in Gatlinburg or should I be looking at other areas?

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
342 reviews
1. Re: Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

I would check with VRBO, Mountain Rentals of Gatlinburg, Jackson Mountain Homes, Auntie Belhams, Timber Tops and Cabins For You.

All good companies and they have lots of private cabins and stand alone cabins not in resorts on top of each other.

Tip:When you look at cabin pictures you can tell there is a cabin very close or right next door if the blinds are closed, a divider up by the outdoor hot tub, or says semi private.

If you find a few you like just jump back on here and ask about it or the company.

You may have to call some companies and ask what they recommend and if they are private. Most rental companies will not give you the address untill a week or two before your trip and once it is paid in full. That's ok I can normally find any cabin in the area just by the pictures and views from the cabins.

Take your time and look an don't get overwhelmed. I think cabin hunting is fun.

I do hope you find the perfect cabin and have a awesome trip.

The Great Smoky Mountains are beautiful and magical and you will probably be hooked and want to return one day.lol

How many bedrooms will you need and what's your budget per night?

Edited: 23 September 2018, 09:10
Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

You might also want to know how steep the roads are to the cabin in case of bad weather. Thanksgiving is a very popular time so finding exactly what you want could be difficult. Good Luck

miamisburg
Level Contributor
240 posts
108 reviews
3. Re: Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

VRBO would be a good place to try. Especially if you can contact the owner. Good chance you'll get some truthfull answers about close neighbors and location and how steep the roads are. If you dont drive in the mountains every day, they are alot steeper to you than to someone that lives there.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Knoxville
Level Contributor
350 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

I second the recommendation of Jackson Mountain Homes. They're a good, reputable company with cabins in a variety of locations. Tell them what you're looking for and they will have suggestions. Additionally, feel free to report back here with any questions about specific locations you find on AirBnB.

Belvidere, Illinois
11 posts
5. Re: Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

X2-TimberTops

San Diego...
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for

Quick response because it is my birthday and I am headed out of town (yay me!) I think I found a private residence on airbnb. 3.3 miles from downtown. The general vicinity says east foothill drive/cartertown road.

I checked timbertops and jackson moutain and most everything was in fact sold out.

Reply to: Is it possible to find a secluded privately owned cabin for
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted