We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

2 posts
441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

My husband and I are going to Pigeon Forge this year for Christmas and I would like to take him over into NC via the Newfound Gap Road. If it does snow then, how dangerous is that drive?

9 replies to this topic
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

The park service in recent years has become very proactive regarding road conditions on U.S. 441/Newfound Gap Road. In my recent experience, having traveled to the area in early January the past three years and following road reports on their Twitter account, if there's any remotely significant accumulation, they close the road until it can be cleared.

Basically, if it's dangerous, it will be closed and you won't be able to drive it.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
342 reviews
2. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

Reid is correct. If there is snow they will close off the gates to Newfound Gap Road. I would watch the local weather reports when you get in town and check for park updates on Twitter. It wouldn't hurt to stop for info at Sugarlands Visitor Center.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

The Twitter account is @SmokiesRoadsNPS.

If you don't have Twitter, you can see updates via the internet version at https://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,096 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

As everyone else has stated, the park service Is always on top of the situation when it comes to snow removal or clearing up downed trees and/or fallen rocks on the road from storms. They will close the roads if any of these problems arise.

Ray

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

Perhaps you could take him up to Ober Gatlinburg to see the snow. You could snow tube and watch the skiers and maybe ice skate.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
96 reviews
6. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

And remember, all the NPS can do is plow and sand; salting the roads is not an option in the national park.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,301 reviews
7. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

The park service will close the gates....

We have been to Gatlinburg for Spring Break, and the gates were closed

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

The weather is unpredictable...2 years ago in early May, Newfound Gap Road was closed for ice and snow. You could see the snow on Mt LeConte from Pigeon Forge.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December

I know 441 is the best way to go when you're interested in seeing sights along the way, but NC is still easily accessible during the winter via I-40. It takes me 1.25 hours to get to Maggie Valley/Waynesville from Pigeon Forge. From there, Asheville is about 30 minutes, and Cherokee & Dillsboro are about 20 minutes.

That's not to say that 441 WILL be closed, even if it snows. We've had some good times in and around Newfound Gap in the snow.

Enjoy your trip!

Reply to: 441 & Newfound Gap Road during December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted