We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

We are spending a full week in Page next month with a side trip to the north rim for the mule ride down. We plan to visit Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Wahweap Overlook, and will rent a boat for a day on Lake Powell. We are interested in doing some day hiking while in the area but are limited to shorter ones as my 19 year old daughter just had hip surgery last month and will not be able to handle anything too strenuous by mid May. Suggestions as to where to get the most bang for our buck? She is a very fit athlete so should be able to handle anything up to a mile or two round trip as long as the trails aren't too tough. I'd love to see some of the majestic and interesting places that seem to be everywhere you turn in Arizona and Utah. We will also be flying into Las Vegas, so if there are any must see places on the drive between there and Page anyone would suggest, I am open to suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
66,718 posts
249 reviews
1. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

I'm not a Dr, but I'd question riding a mule after hip surgery. That (IMO) will be far more strenuous than hiking.

For short hikes, choose the obvious at Horseshoe Bend Overlook, Toadstools off 89 west of Page and of course Antelope Canyons.,

At Marble Canyon it's fun to wander around Lees Ferry.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

Between Las vegas and Page you'll find Valley of Fire SP in Nevada. Yiu can drive via majestic Zion NP or take 89/395 and visit Pipe Spring NM between Hurricane and Kanab. North of Kanab you'll find Best Friend Animal Society. Never done a muleride myself but that will be a long day driving from Page to NR and back and you don't want to drive in the dark.

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
3. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

We have horses so are used to riding. My daughter's surgeon has cleared her for the ride and for hiking as well. We're going to the north rim for the mule ride, so the drive isn't too terrible. We've done it at the south rim a few years ago so wanted to do north since we will be pretty close. Thanks for the suggestions on the drive from Las Vegas. I have looked into Marble Canyon and thought that might be a good choice. I'll check out toadstools as well.

Edited: 04 April 2015, 22:52
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

Also Hanging Garden trail just off Hwy 89 on the east side of the dam.

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
5. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

I haven't seen anything about hanging garden so will be sure to check it out. We have extra time throughout the week that isn't planned out and are looking for other interesting places to see. Thanks for the tip!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
137 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

Stop in Kanab at the Grand Staircase Escalante visitor center to get a map and some additional hike ideas. They can show you where the Toadstools hike is that RedRox referred to. I recommend it as a quick hike with some cool views. If you have a 4-wheel drive, you can also take some dirt side roads into the Grand Staircase Escalante and hike around.

We just did the Las Vegas-Page drive last week. Keep your eyes open as you go through Colorado Springs. Creepy and sad place.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
2,434 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

citygal...I think you are referring to Colorado City, not Springs.

Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
8. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

I think you mean Colorado City, citygal...

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

Few people will call Colorado City a must see place ;-)

Woodstock, Georgia
Level Contributor
39 posts
10. Re: Hiking advise for Page, GCNR area

We have actually visited parts of Grand Staircase Escalante along with Zion and Bryce Canyon a couple of years ago. We like it out west so keep going back for more! We did not go through Kanab on that trip so can easily do so on this one. We have an entire week in Page and plan to make excursions out from there. We don't mind doing some driving each day to get to the places we want to see. Again, all of the advice is much appreciated. There is nothing like first-hand experience to guide one who hasn't been somewhere before.