We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
611 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

Not sure if I am posting on the correct area forum but here goes : we will be travelling from Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces just as an overnight stop on our way to Albuquerque. We are on a strict itinerary so what are the timings and mileage like to Albuquerque from either places? It seems it would maybe be quicker from Las Cruces but it also seems there is more scenic roads around Silver City especially the 152 to the I25 which to be honest would appeal to us more. Using Mapquest it seems the 152 would mean a drive of over 2 hours before joining the I25 is that correct? But straight up from Las Cruces would be just over 3 hours. Can't avoid the driving but would like to arrive at check-in time and spend some time just lazing around for a change.

Any help gratefully received!

Mentioned in this post
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Las Cruces
Las Cruces
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

From Las Cruces to Albuquerque is at least 3-1/2 hours. From Silver City to Albuquerque is about 15 miles longer and takes about 4 hours (and yes, it takes about 2 hours to reach I-25 from Silver City-- but from Cruces to ABQ on I-25 is a truly boring trip, whereas NM152 has some really wonderful scenery (provided you don't mind twisty but wide and well-maintained mountain roads).

Mentioned in this post
Las Cruces
Las Cruces
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

You may enjoy a side-trip to old Tombstone from I-10 also. In the American Southwest we have "in the Boonies," and "in the BOONIES!" :-) Lots of miles between towns, and in the case of Tucson to El Paso on I-10, much is in the latter vein.

I would definitly recommend the drive from Lordsburg, to Silver City, and east on 152 to Caballo at I-25. Silver City is a lively, yet historically interesting place to visit, and the drive east into the Black Range Mountains will also take you past one of the country's largest open-pit copper mines at Santa Rita, approximately 20 miles east of Silver City. The twisty portion of 152 needs to be taken slowly, as there can be livestock on the highway...deer are plentiful also, especially early and late in the day. Beautiful scenery through the pines however. Drive into the old mining towns of Kingston and Hillsboro enroute...once thriving communities in the late 1800's.

You can avoid some of the boredom of I-25 north to Albuquerque, by driving some remaining segments of the old, 2-lane highway, formerly a U.S. highway, but now a state highway. The slower drive time on 152 can be made up going north from Caballo, by our 75mph interstate speed limits.

Edited: 09 February 2011, 03:56
Mentioned in this post
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,094 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

From Silver City is a pretty drive to I25. We stopped at Tombstone between Tucson and Silver City (on our way to Albu) Enjoyed the detour. It IS Tombstone, after all :)

We chose to stay in Pinos Altos just north of Silver CIty at in a little "duplex" type cabin with Bear Creek Motel and Cabins. This was 3 years ago-- I am presuming it is still a charming place. Ate at the old saloon there for dinner. Fun little stop for us.

Mentioned in this post
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Tucson
Tucson
Arizona
Bear Creek Motel and Cabins
Bear Creek Motel and...
104 Reviews
Pinos Altos, NM
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
611 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

Thanks for your all very interesting replys! It really has been a toss-up between Las Cruces and Silver City but from all your answers I think Silver City has the edge. The 152 although a twisty road sounds so much more interesting amd scenic then straight up on the I25. We can always make the time up once on the freeway again.

We have been to Tombstone before but it was such fun I would not mind another visit. I have just looked up the Bear Creek website and although it looks totally fascinating, we will have to give it a miss this time round and go for a B+B hopefully in Silver City.

Thanks for making things a lot clearer for me and roll on September so we can get going!

Mentioned in this post
Las Cruces
Las Cruces
New Mexico
Silver City
Silver City
New Mexico
Tombstone
Tombstone
Arizona
Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

If you are looking for a B&B in Silver, one of the best is The Inn on Broadway; it's right downtown. You might also consider the Bear Mountain Lodge, a wonderful place about 3 miles outside of town.

Mentioned in this post
Bear Mountain Lodge
Bear Mountain Lodge
299 Reviews
Silver City, NM
6. Re: From Tucson to either Silver City or Las Cruces?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2018, 01:48
Get answers to your questions about Silver City