We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn - where to go

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Brooklyn - where to go

My husband and I are coming to New York next weekend and will be spending the afternoon and evening in Brooklyn. We are still deciding what area to explore and looking for advice - we'd like to walk across the Brooklyn bridge and then.... DUMBO? Prospect Park? Williamsburg? We are up for anything but want to explore and are into cool stores, cafes, bars, architecture etc. We are also looking for somewhere mid-range for dinner, maybe a gastro pub, bistro etc. Any recommendations?

Special Offer
New York City Explorer Pass
480 Reviews
from US$ 84.00*
US$ 89.00
Special Offer
New York Pass with Fast Track Access
511 Reviews
from US$ 119.04*
US$ 124.00
Best of Brooklyn Half-Day Food and...
539 Reviews
from US$ 112.50*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn - where to go

Read this itinerary: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60827-i617-k73722…

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,041 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn - where to go

Brooklyn is bigger than Manhattan by far, and only DUMBO and Brooklyn Heights are within walking distance of the Brooklyn Bridge. The subway goes almost everywhere.

I like Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens a lot (Carroll Street on the F and G train).

Williamsburg is easy to get to on the G train from the Metropolitan Avenue Station, and there are lots of bars and restaurants on Bedford Avenue south of the station (after you walk west a few blocks to Bedford Avenue).

Prospect Park is a 10 minute train ride to its big entrance at Grand Army Plaza, with an arch to rival the Arc d'Triomphe in Paris, and a sculpture of John F. Kennedy, and the Art Deco main Brooklyn Public Library building (the biggest main library I have ever seen similar to Manhattan but in a completely different style).

Also the Brooklyn Musem is right there, as is Prospect Park (obviously) and the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Here is a map:

prospectpark.org/media/file/prospect-park-ma…

This is just a small piece of Brooklyn I'm talking about, which has the population of TO (and I mean from Steeles south to the Lake).

Here is a subway map. Notice that almost 1/3 the map is in Brooklyn, and for some reason, all the famous parts are just south or east of Manhattan.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Edited: 03 November 2014, 22:47
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
980 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn - where to go

Well if you are walking across the bridge and have only an afternoon/evening, you should stay in the area right over the bridge. As you cross, you have Dumbo on the left and Brooklyn Heights on your right with the Brooklyn Bridge Park wrapping the waterfront. There are some good bar/restaurants/shops/galleries in Dumbo. There's a Jacques Torres store where you can check out chocolate. Its a very compact neighborhood. If you want pizza, try Julianna's. The park is spectacular. There's a carousel if you want to take a spin. If you walk all the way down to Atlantic and then head east on Atlantic, you will find several great bars and restaurants. One of my favorite places for dinner on that stretch is Colonie. Flloyds is a bar with an indoor boccie court. Head north from there and explore Brooklyn Heights, america's first suburb. Lots of old money homes there with many examples of federal architecture.

4. Re: Brooklyn - where to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2015, 10:45
Get answers to your questions about Brooklyn
Recent Conversations