We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

Buffalo, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

Hello, all! I'm going to be visiting Brooklyn with my Fiancee the first week of April... I'm looking for an affordable vacation rental in the area. I was recommended The Garden Apartment in Carroll Gardens www.apartmentincarrollgardens.com by a co-worker... it looks fantastic. Has anyone been here or know someone who has?? I'm seriously considering it! Other suggestions VERY welcome, as well!

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Carroll Gardens
Carroll Gardens
114 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,452 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

Vacation rentals are illegal in New York City, and unfortunately that includes Brooklyn. Now, it's unclear to me whether this place is actually a short term apartment rental, or whether the owner lives on site, which would likely qualify it as a B&B unless there are more than four units in the building.

So, as for advice: what are you looking for, exactly? You say "in the Brooklyn area," but Brooklyn isn't an area, it's one of the largest cities in the US. Where exactly are you going to be, and where exactly do you want to stay? There are Bed and Breakfasts that are legal further into Brooklyn, in Ditmas Park, that I can recommend, or there are apartment style hotels in Manhattan that would be reasonably convenient to some parts of Brooklyn. There are also hotels at various price points in various parts of Brooklyn. Can you give us some more details about your needs, dates, and budget per night?

You might also consider posting that information in the New York City forum. We cover Brooklyn there too, and there are more hotel experts on that forum than this one.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
The Brooklyn
The Brooklyn
309 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

Jessica,

Try Vacation Rentals By Owners website. Here is their Brooklyn page: vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…brooklyn

Akwaka Mansion in Bedford Stuyvesant is also a lovely bed and breakfast in Brooklyn for vacation rental. http://akwaababrooklyn.com/akwaaba-mansion/

You certainly have options! Enjoy your stay in Brooklyn.

BB

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Bedford
Bedford
Pennsylvania
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

IGNORE the above person.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,794 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

Short term apartment rentals are illegal in NYC, but are still widely advertised. Some B&B's are also illegal. Take a look at the NYC forum and you'll see lots of discussions on the topic. tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York… Also check the NYC forum's FAQ on the topic (second item on the list)

Mentioned in this post
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
54 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

Sadly, this link is advertising something very illegal. There are many posts on this subject on the NYC board. The potential negative consequences (getting booted halfway through, getting scammed, etc) far outweigh the potential benefits. Vacation rentals are illegal in all of New York City (Brooklyn along with Queens, Bronx and Staten Island are all part of NYC).

That being said, Brooklyn is HUUUUUUUUGE. With 2.5 million people, it's population is larger than that of Houston, Philadelphia and is just 100,000 people fewer than Chicago. This means, there are great areas and very bad neighborhoods. What are you looking to do in NY and what is your budget?

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Queens
Queens
New York
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
6. Re: Brooklyn Vacation Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2013, 14:50