We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

N M
Washington DC...
2 posts
What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

I was wondering what is THE best way to get t Brooklyn from Penn Station and JFK airport? I was wondering also how much it would cost? I want to either take the subway or taxi/limo from penn station or jfk. I have an interview at SUNY Downstate on 450 Clarkson Ave and need to plan my trip.

Thanks!!

Special Offer
New York City Explorer Pass
482 Reviews
from US$ 84.55*
US$ 89.00
Best of Brooklyn Half-Day Food and...
550 Reviews
from US$ 125.00*
New York Pass with Fast Track Access
515 Reviews
from US$ 119.04*
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
1. Re: What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

You'll get many more responses if you repost in the New York City forum, and if you tell us the time of day and day of week.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

Getting there from Penn Station will be really easy, take the 2 or the 5 train from the Penn Station subway stop. You will get off at Winthrop St. Cost: $2.25. It will take about 40 minutes door to door.

From JFK, you can either take a cab, which will cost about $30, or public transportation. The latter option is really cumbersome and will involve at least 2 long transfers, and will cost about $10.

I'd opt for the cab from JFK, but the subway from Penn Station.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

Note that Winthrop Street station on the #2 is a little funny in that the Brooklyn-bound and the Manhattan-bound entrances are not at the same street. When you get off the train coming from Manahttan, you will be at Parkside and Nostrand Avenues, rather than at Winthrop Street. Walk south (with the flow of traffic on Nostrand) one blcok to Clarkson, and turn left; the Downstate campus begins one long block away on the other side of New York Avenue. Coming back, when you get back to Nostrand Avenue you will need to walk TWO blocks (and not one) north on Nostrand Avenue to Winthrop Street where the entrance to the northbound trains can be found.

The subway will be both cheaper and faster, and also less likely to get lost; it will be a rare cab driver in Manhattan who will have any clue whatsoever where Clarkson Avenue in Brooklyn is. If you cannot give turn-by-turn directions (which obviously you can't, or you wouldn't have asked) you should never consider jumping in a cab in Manahttan to go to the middle of Brooklyn.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
4. Re: What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

Also, the 5 train doesn't stop at Penn Station. If you go looking for it, you'll get lost.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

^ yep, brain-freeze. Take the 2 train.

6. Re: What is the best way to get to Brooklyn from Penn Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2012, 15:56
Get answers to your questions about Brooklyn