We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn Half Marathon

Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Brooklyn Half Marathon

I am running the Brooklyn half at Coney Island. It will be our first time at Coney Island. How is the area? Safe for the kids? How is the parking? Are there free parking or paid? Any input on the area will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Special Offer
New York City Explorer Pass
482 Reviews
from US$ 84.55*
US$ 89.00
Best of Brooklyn Half-Day Food and...
551 Reviews
from US$ 125.00*
New York Pass with Fast Track Access
515 Reviews
from US$ 119.04*
8 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

The area is safe and good for kids, but parking is tough when there’s a big event going on. As an avid Brooklyn runner, I’m also curious what race exactly this is. Is it the May 2019 NYRR Brooklyn Half (for which registration hasn’t opened yet)? The October 2018 NYCRuns Brooklyn Half (which doesn’t go to Coney Island)? Or something else? I’ve run or have friends who’ve run/organized these races and would be happy to give you more info.

Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
2. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

Its the Indian Summer Half Marathon Sept9. THanks so much for the info! If you have more it’ll be great. Thanks again!

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,265 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

You could always park at the Avenue U station of the Q train, and take the subway train the last 6 stops to Coney Island. Or park at Beverley Road of the Q train (I know from frequent experience that there's lots of parking there between Coney Island Avenue and E. 16th St) and ride the subway for 20 minutes to Coney Island.

Edited: 22 August 2018, 20:45
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

I wasn’t familiar with this race until now - I’m wondering if it’s a new event? I understand it’s run entirely on the boardwalk, with multiple loops, which should be great for watching and cheering your runner. Do tell whoever’s running to watch their footing, though - the boardwalk can be treacherous in places.

No real advice on parking. I’d check with the event website to see what they suggest. You may well be able to find street parking around CI or by a nearby subway station (the Q stop in Sheepshead Bay is another possibility), but that could also be a hassle. Depending on where you’re coming from, taking public transportation the entire way could be the easiest thing to do.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

CI is fine.

At an event like a half marathon, there will be loads of people, volunteers and NYPD around.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

Postscript to my post - I was responding on my phone, which means I didn't see the bit where you clearly state that you're the one running . . . sorry to have missed that, and best of luck to you! Hope you'll report back on the experience.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
19,249 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

lke313......hey....you change your name?

Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
8. Re: Brooklyn Half Marathon

Thanks everyone!

Reply to: Brooklyn Half Marathon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted