We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

2 posts
Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

I will be living in crown heights this summer subletting an apartment. I have a car and am trying to figure out where I will be keeping it during my time in Brooklyn. I realize parking in Manhattan is crazy but is it just as bad over in Brooklyn? What is my best option for the May-August months. Will I be able to find free parking on the streets or will I need to put it in a garage?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

Most people with cars in neighborhoods like Crown Heights (i.e., residential sections dense with brownstones and no - or very few - driveways) park on the street. It's a pain, but doable. You'll have to move your car at least once a week for street cleaning. Parking can sometimes require circling a progressively expanding radius around your building, looking for a spot (ideally one where you won't have to move it again that week), all the while fuming to yourself about why you own the stupid car. But, eventually, you'll succeed. I think my personal record was 30 minutes of circling...or maybe it just felt that long.

At least that's how it was for me (I eventually got rid of the car) in Park Slope.

Additional advice:

- Sign up to get notices from the NYC DOT so that you'll know when alternate side parking is suspended. (If you game the calendar, you can sometimes get away without moving your car for several weeks.)

- Always write down where you left your car, because you'll forget.

- Practice your parallel parking skills.

Edited: 30 March 2017, 03:38
2 posts
2. Re: Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

Thank you very much that was helpful

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

You won't have a problem parking the car on the street, except moving it once a week. However, if you have a newer car... I wouldn't leave it in Crown Heights on the streets.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

You might just want to leave your car at home, and not even bother bringing it to New York. When people say you have to move your car once a week, they mean at best once a week, possibly twice a week (because of street cleaning), and you will only want to park it on streets without meters. Unless you are driving a lot, for some reason, it's a real pain in the neck to have a car in Brooklyn, especially in an area with lots of apartment buildings and when you hardly ever will be driving.

My niece lives in Queens (a little less densely populated), she pays a lot for a space behind a house where the alley leading to it is barely 10 feet wide; she can seemingly never find a good space on the street. This is normal when there are lots of apartment buildings (like on all the avenues there named after cities in New York State).

As someone not accustomed to NYC life, you may find that too much time or money will be spent keeping your car legally parked.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

I know one neighborhood about 4 miles away, where there is easy parking, but twice a week you will have to move it to the other side of the street. (Now that I think of it, it's more like 4 times, because you move it to the other side, then that side is prohibited the next day, then you move it back, then the first side is prohibited again, so you move it again. Same with Crown Heights.)

If you park around the streets north and south of Beverley Road between Coney Island Avenue and Rugby Road, there are often spaces. But of course, you have to move it all the time, and you have to take 3 subway trains from Crown Heights to the nearest subway station. But it's a good location for free parking on weekends.

6. Re: Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 April 2017, 17:05
7. Re: Brooklyn Crown Heights Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2018, 09:47