We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

Texas
Level Contributor
614 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

So I'm trying to research a fun pizza place in Brooklyn for Tuesday night Feb 21, or Wed Feb 22 lunch....I've heard about Grimaldi's, and read some of the comments on TA, but they are fairly old. Of course there are varying opinions about the best choice...including the following:

“Don't go to Grimaldi's. Its a poor facsimile of what it used to be. Go to Julianna's which is in the original Grimaldi's (nee Patsy's) space and run by Patsy Grimaldi.” Or Pete's, or Roberta's, or.....!

So, can someone offer an update/overview of the various places mentioned in my title? We'll be at a hotel on 4th Avenue near 25th.

Mentioned in this post
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
Grimaldi's
Grimaldi's
436 Reviews
New York City, NY
Patsy's
Patsy's
101 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Patsy's Italian Restaurant
Patsy's Italian...
3,886 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

I agree with Juliana's - it's better and warmer service. Grimaldi's is more corporate now, though have good pizza. Except to stand in line some.

Mentioned in this post
Grimaldi's
Grimaldi's
436 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

I much prefer Julianna's to Grimaldi. I was a regular at the original Patsy's when Patsy would roam the place. I remember the dispute that resulted in the name change. I was saddened to see Patsy retire and sell his namesake place. I was mortified to see his place then go down hill as the quality collapsed. So much so I stopped going. I was excited when I heard Patsy was going to reopen a pizza place in the old space. I was back in my old happy spot when I first went to the new Julianna's and saw Patsy's wife. Now I'm saddened again because the lines are terribly long because of sites like tripadvisor. So help a guy get a table and don't go there. ;)

Roberta's is a completely different kind of place. Great unconventional pizza but the setting is a young hipster environment. There was a long thread on another site that talked about Roberta's: No Country for Old Men as a place to stay away from unless you're a tatted mustached 20 something.

Don't know Pete's.

Mentioned in this post
Patsy's
Patsy's
101 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Patsy's Italian...
3,886 Reviews
New York City, NY
Texas
Level Contributor
614 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

Well, jeez, we won't fit into Roberta's for sure!! Where is Patsy's...next door to Grimaldi"s? And how far is it from a metro stop, if you know, as we will be coming from Brooklyn Best Western. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Patsy's
Patsy's
101 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
954 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

Patsy's is no more. Patsy Grimaldi opened Patsy's. Due to a legal fight, he changed the name to Grimaldi's. Patsy Grimaldi then sold Grimaldi's. New owners of Grimaldi's sought to cash in on the reputation of the founder and the place went downhill. Grimaldi's lost their lease and moved a few storefronts away. Patsy comes in and in a bit of poetic justice, rents the old space and opens Julianna.

Mentioned in this post
Patsy's
Patsy's
101 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Patsy's Italian...
3,886 Reviews
New York City, NY
Grimaldi's
Grimaldi's
436 Reviews
New York City, NY
Canada
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

You can get a limited selection of Roberta's pizza at their location in VanderBilt Urban Foodspace just north of Grand Central if you would like to try it on a day you are in Manhattan. It's delicious.

Mentioned in this post
Roberta's Pizza
Roberta's Pizza
1,127 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Park Central Hotel New York
Park Central Hotel New...
5,298 Reviews
New York City, NY
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

Concur with Julianna's over Grimaldi's (at least the Grimaldi's by the bridge . . . the location on Coney Island, which is more oriented to locals, is better). Not familiar with Pete's, and Roberta's is too intimidatingly young & hip for me (I jest, but only slightly).

Other good choices would include Lucali in Carroll Gardens (cash only, not open for lunch, expect a wait), Motorino in Williamsburg, or Paulie Gee's in Greenpoint (not open for lunch)

Mentioned in this post
Grimaldi's
Grimaldi's
436 Reviews
New York City, NY
Coney Island USA
Coney Island USA
4,022 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Lucali
Lucali
153 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Carroll Gardens
Carroll Gardens
113 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Motorino
Motorino
252 Reviews
New York City, NY
Williamsburg
Williamsburg
1,461 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Paulie Gee's
Paulie Gee's
188 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
The Greenpoint Lodge
The Greenpoint Lodge
22 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

>>>There was a long thread on another site that talked about Roberta's: No Country for Old Men <<<

SloppyEats, I just saw that you cited one of my all-time favorite Chowhound threads. I think of it every time Roberta's comes up.

Texas
Level Contributor
614 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

Just an update after eating at Juliana's......pizza was great! Service was great! Place was nifty.....but we did peek in the door next door at Grimaldi's....and I would have to say it seemed there was more "atmosphere" and more "old country." It seemed to be more what I was expecting. So, depending on what someone is looking for, either place might be nice.

Mentioned in this post
Juliana's Pizza
Juliana's Pizza
2,494 Reviews
Brooklyn, NY
Grimaldi's
Grimaldi's
436 Reviews
New York City, NY
9. Re: Grimaldi's/Pete's/Roberta's/Julianna's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2018, 10:48